support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sorry to be a nuisance...

Nick Cook

Locality
Wokingham, Berks, UK
...I'm sure this has been asked before.

There's a Canonball Tenor on e-bay in America that looks very nice and about £1000 cheaper than buying new over here ($1999).

How much duty/vat would I likely have to pay if I bought this?

Ta,

Nick

How much duty/vat would I likely have to pay if I bought this?

VAT = 17.5%, duty I think is 4% but is slapped onto the shipping cost as well as value of the item. Plus the Parcelforce "handling fee" depending on how it's sent.

Plus the cost of repairing or setting up after shipping damage.

Given that returning it is not so feasable and so any warrantee/customer service is less valuable, I would not bother.

And you have to ask yourself, do you really really really want a Cannonball?

Well, I went into Dawkes on Monday and quite fancied the Cannonballs, a Mauriat and a Keilworth.

But the Caonnonballs were the most blingy!!!!! :D

Well, I went into Dawkes on Monday and quite fancied the Cannonballs, a Mauriat and a Keilworth.

But the Caonnonballs were the most blingy!!!!! :D

Can't argue with that.

Just backing up Pete's breakdown of cost.
It is right in my experience.

That said, I have been lucky with getting things in the condition described.

Why not go for a NEW Barone?, i paid $1572 around a year ago which equates to around a grand, and if my memory serves me right i paid an extra £140 for vat, duty etc.

I once tried a Cannonball mad meg tenor, the thing was built like a tank, and almost as heavy as one! but it wasent for me, apart from anything else it had two large stones glued to the top of the neck that looked like a pair of dogs b*****s sticking up!

If you do go for a Barone though check his inventory first, cos if he aint got what you want in you will be in for a long wait, ( i waited about seven weeks and mine was already in stock!)

Good look.

Oh, don't get me started........

Don't buy a sax because of its bling factor - I bought my Cannonball Raven in spite of it, not because. In any case, a lot of manufacturers have caught up and even overtaken CB in the bling stakes (that BW M2 for instance - makes a CB look like an example of restraint and good taste.......)

I think the Big Bell series sell here for about £1800 - it doesn't seem worth the hassle of saving a few hundred quid to import one from the States with all the warranty risks you will then have. If you really want one, Wood Wind & Reed in Cambridge and Sheehans in Leicester had several in stock each last time I looked - go and spend a couple of hours trying against the competition.

Why not go for a NEW Barone?, i paid $1572 around a year ago which equates to around a grand, and if my memory serves me right i paid an extra £140 for vat, duty etc.

If you do go for a Barone though check his inventory first, cos if he aint got what you want in you will be in for a long wait, ( i waited about seven weeks and mine was already in stock!)

Good look.

I also am the proud owner of a Phil Barone. It is obviously much cheaper to import these things into Australia (the first $800 are disregarded by customs), but the instrument is in my view worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom