support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sore Tongue - related to playing?

Hi Teen37. I have had the same problem with a cut tongue and always after breaking in a new reed. It can be quite painful. I haven't had this problem since going over to plasticover reeds. The traditionalists will scoff but those plasties just play dry and straight out of the box. They last longer too.

Harking back to when I had a split tongue last did some googling and I think this was the site I found:

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.co...-painful-splits-at-the-end-of-the-tongue.html

Looking at it, it is a pretty common complaint and could be caused by umpteen things! Prof's advice to see a doctor is good if it lasts more than a couple of days.

At the time I tried to figure out if, before it occurred, I had done anything unusual or been exposed to anything which might have caused it. (your doctor would probably ask you that to help diagnosis...)

I had both times been under a fair bit of stress, not enough sleep and excessive partying (even for me...) and I assumed that might have triggered it. Each time the onset coincided with a hangover - which may have contributed to the insight...

I avoided any food which might irritate it as well as hot drinks - and anything alcoholic (I was taking it very seriously, so drastic action was called for). I caught up on sleep and on both occasions it was healed in a few days.

I'd put stress, toxins, overwork and/ or lack of sleep (or both) high on the list of suspects...and you have just had a cold, so are a bit run down and extra susceptible ...

yeah, i think it does keep coming back to having that cold, and of course i was slightly stressed because of having my first gig in 25 years on saturday, which i have mentioned on another thread, that could be a contributor too, it is gradually getting better, but i have had it for over a week now, so i guess it should be clearing up soon. i hope anyway.

Hi Teen37. I have had the same problem with a cut tongue and always after breaking in a new reed. It can be quite painful. I haven't had this problem since going over to plasticover reeds. The traditionalists will scoff but those plasties just play dry and straight out of the box. They last longer too.

i have seen those on ebay of course, but haven't tried any yet. may have to go down that route if it keeps happening. thanks for the tip.

Hey everyone, just an update if your interested,
Been to docs as there was no sign of my sore tongue clearing up on its own, and its obviously not related to the sax or reed as I have not played since my gig on the 25th last Saturday, and so the doc said to try corsadyl mouth wash for a week, failing that have got prescription for steroid mouth wash, will see how it goes eh! Tastes vile by the way!!! Reminds me of that nasty dentist sort of gas they used to give you in the 70's when I was a kid, bought back nightmares!!!:( Ugh!!!

Wow!

I've had it a few times but never that bad... and, as you say, unrelated to playing a reed.

I've just remembered one of the things I decided to try was vitamin C... figuring that as I was run down that usually helps, and can do no harm.

Keep at it and you'll soon have it licked! :cheers:

Wow!

I've had it a few times but never that bad... and, as you say, unrelated to playing a reed.

I've just remembered one of the things I decided to try was vitamin C... figuring that as I was run down that usually helps, and can do no harm.

Keep at it and you'll soon have it licked! :cheers:

Thanks Kernewegor, I have read that it could possibly be a vitamin deficiency, although it said B vitamin, or even anaemia???? Will get some B vitamins and iron tablets too just in case, like you say, it can't hurt right?

Oh that sounds yuk the mouthwash. Hope you get better soon and can back to the sax playing x

Thanks Kernewegor, I have read that it could possibly be a vitamin deficiency, although it said B vitamin, or even anaemia???? Will get some B vitamins and iron tablets too just in case, like you say, it can't hurt right?

Don't overdose on vitamin B - it can do your liver in. But according to the recommended dosage it is OK unless you have some unusual condition. Diabetics, and those on the verge of being, are often short of Vitamin B.

Iron I don't think is as dangerous. I remember reading about the World Health Authority investigating nutritional deficiencies in Africa being astonished at incredibly high blood iron content among adults in one village where anaemia might have been unremarkable... then they found that the villagers were brewing their beer in old (and rusty!) steel oil drums....

I suggested Vitamin C as it helps tissue repair and it is safe. The old scourge of sailors, scurvy, led to tissue breakdown caused by lack of Vitamin C but was quickly reversed with lime (or better, lemon) juice. Just don't get the powder in the split in your tongue or it will sting.

A good diet is better than popping pills, but if you need extra for one reason or another then they can really help.

Go to the doctors!!!!!
Catch up, do - teen37 did that days ago! And she is following his/her advice on treatment...

Self medicating can be dangerous, I agree. Some vitamins can be dangerous in overdose - vitamins E and A for instance.

Having spent various periods of my life out of reach of doctors, I have had to figure things out for myself - luckily not for anything particularly serious.

Avoid eating polar bear liver at all times and do resist the temptation to eat the livers of your sledge dogs when rations get short or you could kill yourself quite horribly with vitamin A overdose.

But provided that you are sensible and read up on it - vitamin supplements can be useful. Some people waste money on supplements when generally a good balanced diet ought to give you all you need.

Beer contains yeast which is a good source of vitamin B... few on this forum should have a deficiency, I would have thought...

Last edited:
Iron I don't think is as dangerous. I remember reading about the World Health Authority investigating nutritional deficiencies in Africa being astonished at incredibly high blood iron content among adults in one village where anaemia might have been unremarkable... then they found that the villagers were brewing their beer in old (and rusty!) steel oil drums....

I suggested Vitamin C as it helps tissue repair and it is safe. The old scourge of sailors, scurvy, led to tissue breakdown caused by lack of Vitamin C but was quickly reversed with lime (or better, lemon) juice. Just don't get the powder in the split in your tongue or it will sting.

A good diet is better than popping pills, but if you need extra for one reason or another then they can really help.

I agree totally!! I only take the meds if I really can't avoid it any longer, as you can probably see, which is why it has taken me 2 weeks to go to the docs! I have been having freshly squeezed orange juice too hoping the vitamin c would help.

Catch up, do - teen37 did that days ago! And she is following his/her advice on treatment...

Having spent various periods of my life out of reach of doctors, I have had to figure things out for myself - luckily not for anything particularly serious.

Avoid eating polar bear liver at all times and do resist the temptation to eat the livers of your sledge dogs when rations get short or you could kill yourself quite horribly with vitamin A overdose.

But provided that you are sensible and read up on it - vitamin supplements can be useful. Some people waste money on supplements when generally a good balanced diet ought to give you all you need.

Beer contains yeast which is a good source of vitamin B... few on this forum should have a deficiency, I would have thought...

I love the polar bear diet kernewegor, just really made me smile!!!

As for the beer thing, well I work in the best place for that you know!!! At my local brewery, and although I don't like beer or drink it, I bake a mean loaf of bread with our mild and old ale, and chocolate cakes like you've never tasted before!!!! Mmmmmmmmm!!!

Impala liver is excellent.

There are quite a few vitamins in the B group. But C is the main vitamin for healing.

Be careful with iron. If you overdo it, it gets deposited in the liver and you don't want that.

What strikes me is that if you have an infection, you could redirect yourself from a dirty mouthpiece or reed.

Impala liver is excellent.

There are quite a few vitamins in the B group. But C is the main vitamin for healing.

Be careful with iron. If you overdo it, it gets deposited in the liver and you don't want that.

What strikes me is that if you have an infection, you could redirect yourself from a dirty mouthpiece or reed.

Yeah I thought about the mouthpiece and reed, but I have a very good cleaning routine with my mouthpieces and I had sterilised it just a couple weeks before, as for the reed, that was new. ?????

With your previous tales having been concerned with your exploits at sea I would have thought you would be more acquainted with cabin boy liver.

Back
Top Bottom