support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sore Tongue - related to playing?

Wow you guys!!!!

I'm not a whiskey drinker myself, although my hubby has a bottle of Aberlor I think in the cupboard, I think the Edrador has gone?????mmmmmmmm? Anyway, I had a bit of a bad experience last year with whiskey, not me personally drinking it, but my hubbies visit to the whiskey festival! Needless to say it took me 2 hours to drive him home , what should have only been a 15 minute journey!!!!! He hasn't touched a drop since!
May just lay off the sax a couple days and see if it clears up eh? If not will try the whiskey.

Whiskey
Aberdor
Edrador

Tsk tsk

Most common sense bit of advice for a medical problem is 'see your doctor' I'm not qualified to say it's this or that. But for me if the reed causes an allergy I feel it would also show up on your bottom lip where the reed touches it.

Lay off playing till it calms down and see your GP..

Chris..

Apologies Teenie it was meant as a joke! Hope that your tongue heals up and as stated I woulod certainly check with the doctor about the cause. In addition there is Charlie Connellys shop - MIR in Walsall that has a great reputation.-

http://www.connolly-mir.co.uk/sales.htm
Yeah, no worries Prof, it was taken as a joke :) I know us females have a tendency to want a good natter! Or so my hubby says anyway!
Yup I did take my sax to be serviced at Connelly's but he was working from his house in Stone Cross, West Brom, just the next street from where I used to live actually. Small world eh? So has he moved to Walsall now then?

Not sure Teenie where he is based but it should be noted on his website. I bought a YTS 62 in Walsall last summer for £800, only used nine times! Nearly ten years old and bought from MIR. I contacted them to confirm they had supplied the sax. They were extremely affable and most helpful even though I wasn't spending money. Since then I have heard great things about their quality of work including overhauls, dent removals, repads, etc. I have a Conn Naked Lady that needs an overhaul so I shall be sending it to them. Thought it may be worth a try for a place to test out whatever they have for sale?

Not sure Teenie where he is based but it should be noted on his website. I bought a YTS 62 in Walsall last summer for £800, only used nine times! Nearly ten years old and bought from MIR. I contacted them to confirm they had supplied the sax. They were extremely affable and most helpful even though I wasn't spending money. Since then I have heard great things about their quality of work including overhauls, dent removals, repads, etc. I have a Conn Naked Lady that needs an overhaul so I shall be sending it to them. Thought it may be worth a try for a place to test out whatever they have for sale?

Yeah thanks Prof, was thinking of checking out their website again, although there wasn't much on last time I looked, but its been a while

Since you fitted a new reed earlier this week and the problem has only just started I would suggest the new reed is a bit rough and needs a very light going over with a nail file both on the vamp and also the rails to take off the sharp edges.

I have just phoned Connelly's MIR, they don't have any tenors in at the mo, and advised me to save up for an S80 selmer priced up to £2500?? But that is way over my budget I'm afraid.

You could try ringing Stuart at Woodwind Exchange to see what he has in for your budget. He has loads of used horns both vintage and modern and a wide range of prices. tel:0127420721831.

Since you fitted a new reed earlier this week and the problem has only just started I would suggest the new reed is a bit rough and needs a very light going over with a nail file both on the vamp and also the rails to take off the sharp edges.

I find the best way to smooth a slightly rough reed is while it is damp, slide it on glass with reasonably firm pressure.

As an alternative to sanding a reed, you can just lay it on a flat surface and gently stroke it from the start of the cut, to the tip, using a round object like the body of a pen or pencil. The idea is to close the open fibres by crushing them shut.

Jim.

Harking back to when I had a split tongue last did some googling and I think this was the site I found:

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.co...-painful-splits-at-the-end-of-the-tongue.html

Looking at it, it is a pretty common complaint and could be caused by umpteen things! Prof's advice to see a doctor is good if it lasts more than a couple of days.

At the time I tried to figure out if, before it occurred, I had done anything unusual or been exposed to anything which might have caused it. (your doctor would probably ask you that to help diagnosis...)

I had both times been under a fair bit of stress, not enough sleep and excessive partying (even for me...) and I assumed that might have triggered it. Each time the onset coincided with a hangover - which may have contributed to the insight...

I avoided any food which might irritate it as well as hot drinks - and anything alcoholic (I was taking it very seriously, so drastic action was called for). I caught up on sleep and on both occasions it was healed in a few days.

I'd put stress, toxins, overwork and/ or lack of sleep (or both) high on the list of suspects...and you have just had a cold, so are a bit run down and extra susceptible ...

Back
Top Bottom