support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

soprano wanted

neil

Locality
Hull
hi folks
just wondered if anyone had an old soprano gathering dust in corner that they wouldnt mind parting with.
Basically I`m after a cheap soprano (cheap because knowing me i wont play it that much but have an itch to get one).

ps..theres a sonora sop on ebay at the moment. anyone got any views on these, but i`d rather buy of here than ebay if i`m honest.

regards
neil

Sorry no, but I recently bought a Venus curved soprano that plays very nicely.

It came from www.discount-musical.co.uk at an impossible £189!
Mine is the lacquer model and I love it, but it is available in a variety of finishes too.

With a reasonable mouthpiece and ligature you're in business.

What is the intonation like on your horn? That has always been the big bug-a-boo with lesser priced sopranos.

can i ask a serious question which probably comes across as being...well a bit daft, i suppose.
whats does it feel like playing a curved sop, i mostly play tenor and when i pick up my alto it feels weirdly `small` in my hands, almost toy like. what does it feel like to play a tenor and then immediately pick up a curved sop???....serious question ..honestly

Gear4music do a soprano for £185 as well. They have a two week return policy and charge about a fiver for delivery.

Jim.

can i ask a serious question which probably comes across as being...well a bit daft, i suppose.
whats does it feel like playing a curved sop, i mostly play tenor and when i pick up my alto it feels weirdly `small` in my hands, almost toy like. what does it feel like to play a tenor and then immediately pick up a curved sop???....serious question ..honestly

A modern one isn't quite as toy like as I'd thought until I bought one. I have big hands with very long fingers, but my Walstein curvy alto feels fine under the fingers, as it has proper sized keys. By contrast my old Buescher True Tone straight feels miniscule, as the palm and side keys are so tiny. A curvy also sounds a bit different to the player (if not the audience) compared to a straight.

The Venus intonation seems fine to me, but it is quite critical over the position of the mouthpiece. ie. how far it is pushed on.

Hi,
I have a Weltklang Solist straight soprano that I might want to get rid of...

Drop me a PM if you're interested.