All profit supporting   special needs music

Soprano vs Alto embouchure?

TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
I hold the curvie at a slightly steeper angle to an Alto - the main thing is not to cut your breath supply/airstream off so that all the notes are playable. Have a look at how Jan Garbarek plays his (on Youtube). Do pop along to Howarth & Son to try some out to get some idea of the difference - they are usually pretty helpful.

Kind regards
Tom

Gallen

Gallen

Locality
Montreal, QC, Canada.
Cheers everyone! For some reason I now have concerns about how the angle the mouthpiece of my alto enters my mouth. More mirror work this evening :)

baritonesax

baritonesax

Locality
Twickenham
Also, is the straight sop more tiring to play with with regards to the arms?

Alvin

Yes - at least to start with. I used a sling on straight soprano for the first two or three months for two reasons. Firstly, my right forearm got tired from holding the thing up. Secondly, when I was playing at the top of the horn the instrument was just not very stable in my embouchure. Having acclimatised, I don't use a strap anymore.

Two Voices

Two Voices

Locality
United Kingdom
Loads of great advice!

I would just like to add that if you've been playing the Alto a while you shouldn't find getting your embouchure a bit tightier for the Soprano. Its such a tiny mouthpiece that requires a nice tight seal! Apart from that its learning to control the intonation of the Sop will help your Alto playing no end!

Shape is a personal thing but I wanted a straight sop for something a little different to my Alto and Tenor! I'm lucky that I have a straight and curved crook, much prefferring the latter which helps holding the sop at 45 deg rather than 90 deg out of my mouth ;}

I don't use a strap as that actually made things harder for me. Initially your right arm will struggle but like anything else you'll get used to it very quickly.

I find the curved sop's freakishly small :shocked:

Like every other sax, good luck with the mouthpiece hunt! it can change everything :)))

Check out Greg Vail with the Sop here to see how a curved crook changes how you hold the sop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gallen

Gallen

Locality
Montreal, QC, Canada.
Hi Paul, thanks for sharing! Greg Vail sounds good! Gonna check out his setup :) Haven't seen you post for awhile, glad to see you posting again!

Alvin

TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
He's been on holiday - cruising. He is now back on planet earth and resuming a normal life...........!

Kind regards
Tom

Two Voices

Two Voices

Locality
United Kingdom
He's been on holiday - cruising. He is now back on planet earth and resuming a normal life...........!

Kind regards
Tom

It was an awesome trip to the Caribbean :mrcool Now back on the wet and windy Isle :(, but ………

…… when is life ever normal with me :shocked::w00t: >:):)))

Two Voices

Two Voices

Locality
United Kingdom
Hi Paul, thanks for sharing! Greg Vail sounds good! Gonna check out his setup :) Haven't seen you post for awhile, glad to see you posting again!

Alvin

Greg Vails Soprano Set-Up is currently a:
Yamaha YSS-62R Soprano
Beechler medal #7 Mouthpiece and Ligature
Rico Royal 2 ½ Reeds

crocodilian

crocodilian

Locality
Wendover, Bucks
Damn it, reading all this makes me want to get a soprano now!