All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Soprano sax has a logo "H" within a circle

ProfJames

Elementary member
Not sure which make or whether this is just to signify "high pitch"? Is there any make who uses this type of logo?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Where? What kind of soprano? I am curious now....
pictures?
Hawkes? Helmer?

ProfJames

Elementary member
Just bought from a hospice and in the process of being delivered so no photos until the soprano arrives unfortunately. It is silver, however, with the letter "H" within a circle. Cost me £120.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Dawkes are repairing the neck at present and they have said it may be an"FF" within the circle (logo). Any ideas who made this?

TomMapfumo

This is likely to relate to a Thread by Jeanette ("Why is he doing this?") on pp2 of Breakfast Room, about her dodgy ex-teacher Neil Richard Wood - who was selling unidentified soprano saxes on eBay which had an FF mark on the bell, always claiming that a friend had bought him the sax - said several times on similar ads (his user was recently changed to "theivorytiger". It may be a similar sax and is probably a Chinese/Taiwanese sax of obscure origin, so possibly not that high a quality, who knows.

Certainly not Hanson or similar.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Actually that Fortissimo looks more like it. Will check the logo when I pick it up on Saturday.

old git

Tremendous Bore
In my book, FF stands for Formula Ford. Be careful, all the drivers are mad.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Having said the above I also remember Jeanette saying that he tried selling her a "Fortissimo" soprano sax, albeit at a higher price than the £199.00 they cost on the Fortissimo website: http://www.fortissimoinstruments.co.uk/saxophones/bb-curved-soprano-saxophone-chicago-by-fortissimo. Does the mark on the bell resemble the one found here?
If this helps, I did ask someone from a sax shop about their experience of fortissimo and rec'd the following reply:

"I know a little about fortissimo's as one of my pupil'shad one, in blue of all colours, they are a cheap Chinese stencil at the end ofthe day, not really the best of Chinese saxophones, but worked ok. The kid I was teaching managed to push out his grade 5 jazz with the sax, but, it did hold him back a little as the key work was too heavy. I believe he only paid about £200 new for his, and it was a tenor as well."

I rented the straight fortissimo sop for a short time before sending it back, my current tutor thought it was ok and I think for a starter it did the job, if you got it for £120 it is less than the online price.

Jx

ProfJames

Elementary member
Thanks everyone. Will check logo on Saturday. Have not decided to learn saxophone to earn money! Just for my own pleasure!

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom