support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Soprano mpcs

Cyn

Hello happy honkers
I'm new to caffsax this is my first post.
Advice sought:
I've just bought a Trevor James soprano on ebay which came with the usual duff mpc.
There aren't any music shops near me that stock a range of mpcs but I'm going London next week & will be visiting Howarths. I know the bible says "try a whole load out", but my time will be relatively limited & I doubt whether my embouchure will stand up to hours of mpc testing.
I use a Meyer rubber 5 medium on alto & Otto Link rubber 6* on tenor, both of which I am comfortable with.
If anyone could help me narrow down the field for soprano I would be most grateful.
P l & i
Cyn

Hi Cyn, I can't answer the question, but I feel sure someone round here will be able to. Welcome to the Café , why don't you go to the 'Doorbell' forum and introduce yourself.

Chris...

Hi Cyn.
I am a huge Pillinger supporter. You can try to book an appointment with him.
In central London, apart from Howarth's you can try sax.co.uk

Keep in mind that usually there isn't a huge choice of soprano mouthpieces and you will know if you are falling in love with one.
5 or 6 are the most popular facings. I prefer large chamber designs, that unfortunately tend to give tuning issues. My current perfect compromise is the Pillinger PJ.

If you are new to soprano , as I am, I wouldn't spend a fortune on your first mouthpiece because you'll soon grow out of it as your embouchure develops. Give it a couple of months on a trainer then you'll have more idea what you can handle. I had some success with the old Yamaha in a 4c and had more success with a rico metalite. I've now settled on a Chinese delacore. I thought I'd be able to just pick it up and play it but it is such a different animal to the others. Sooo high at the top lol

If you are new to soprano , as I am, I wouldn't spend a fortune on your first mouthpiece because you'll soon grow out of it as your embouchure develops. Give it a couple of months on a trainer then you'll have more idea what you can handle. I had some success with the old Yamaha in a 4c and had more success with a rico metalite. I've now settled on a Chinese delacore. I thought I'd be able to just pick it up and play it but it is such a different animal to the others. Sooo high at the top lol

Colin is right - playing the soprano is a whole different ball game altogether...

Greg S.

You said it yourself, the TJ came with the normal duff MP. Go to Ed Pillinger as you are in the London area, try some of his gems. You won't be wasting your time or your money. I came straight from Clarinet to Soprano 6 to 7yrs ago, because the job required a Soprano. I found a Yanagisawa S880 for a good price £950. Which was previously owned by a prominent London muso. and it's the only Sax I haven't chopped and changed, quite a few Altos a 2 Tenors. The Yani MP was ok, played it for a short period, then went to see Ed Pillinger, tried numerous MPs and bought one with Ed listening in, and advising me. For me its the perfect setup, and I never feel the need to even experiment with any other MP unlike the Alto & Tenor.

I tried a few, yani hr, selmer soloist, Yamaha 4cm, PPT, as well as a lot of no namers. PPT was by far the best. I've ended up liking a slightly longer lay than standard.

PPT is also by Ed Pillinger. Recommended

The Bari Esprit soprano at £14 is a world beater - just read what JonF wrote about it in the following thread. I have one, Jon has one, Jeanette has one - all think it is amazing, and seriously demolishes the usual rubbish - Yamaha, Selmer S80, Otto Link, Meyer etc.

Buy one, and if you don't like it I'll buy it off you, no problem. It is not well known, but is awesome http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?8031-Bari-Esprit-Soprano-mouthpiece-review and http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?10072-More-on-Bari-Esprit-mouthpieces Go no further!!!!!

Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

I tried a few, yani hr, selmer soloist, Yamaha 4cm, PPT, as well as a lot of no namers. PPT was by far the best. I've ended up liking a slightly longer lay than standard.

Everything Kev says above I agree with. As a test I've played a different mouthpiece on sop for a couple of weeks. The other mouthpiece has been good, but when I went back to the PPT, I instantly knew why I'd bought it. Simply the best soprano mouthpiece I've ever played, in nearly thirty years of playing sop.

Oh, and as a PS given the cross posting with Tom. The 'other mouthpiece' was a £14 Bari Esprit. It is indeed, in my humble opinion, miles better than Yamaha, Selmer S80, Otto Link, all of which I've owned for sop. It is incredible value for money. Just not as good, ultimately, as the PPT. But if you're short on cash, buy the Bari.

Compared to the others you tried I would think that the PPT demolishes the opposition. Against better soprano mouthpieces - Soprano Planet, Drake, Morgan, Berg Larsen and the Bari Esprit you might have to revise your thinking.

Everything Kev says above I agree with. As a test I've played a different mouthpiece on sop for a couple of weeks. The other mouthpiece has been good, but when I went back to the PPT, I instantly knew why I'd bought it. Simply the best soprano mouthpiece I've ever played, in nearly thirty years of playing sop.

You should try a Soprano Planet & Drake mouthpiece and let me know what you think - I'd value your opinion. I tried the PPT and preferred the Via Coro I play, along with my Berg Larsen Ebonite 70/1 but should give it another go.

Oh, and as a PS given the cross posting with Tom. The 'other mouthpiece' was a £14 Bari Esprit. It is indeed, in my humble opinion, miles better than Yamaha, Selmer S80, Otto Link, all of which I've owned for sop. It is incredible value for money. Just not as good, ultimately, as the PPT. But if you're short on cash, buy the Bari.

Hi Jon

what is it you like about the ppt over the bari, as Tom stated earlier I am playing the bari esprit at the moment. I tried a Via Coro and sent it back, it was very free blowing but tonally I preferred the bari. I have just got a yam 6c and again find it easier to blow than the bari but tonally am not happy with it.

Just not sure which size to buy if I go for the ppt..

Jx

Hi Jon

what is it you like about the ppt over the bari, as Tom stated earlier I am playing the bari esprit at the moment. I tried a Via Coro and sent it back, it was very free blowing but tonally I preferred the bari. I have just got a yam 6c and again find it easier to blow than the bari but tonally am not happy with it.

Jx

You need to bear in mind that your soprano sax is on the brighter side and the mellow tone of the Bari probably balances it. The Via Coro is generally a brighter mouthpiece, as is the PPT - I described it as like a Berg Larsen 1.5 when I reviewed it some time ago.
I imagine a 6 would be a good size. When I got my Via Coro Joe knew that I played a Bauhaus Walstein curved soprano, with a mellower tone.

Hi Jon

Jx

Hi Jeanette

I find the PPT to be more fleible in terms of the range of tones I can get with ease. The core tone of the Bari is great, and it's very easy to play, but the PPT enables me to go from bright to warm, and I can get a bit more raunchiness out of too. The PPT is a good bit louder as well. I prefer the PPT, but if the only mouthpiece I could ever have was the Bari, I'd be perfectly happy.

Jon

You should try a Soprano Planet & Drake mouthpiece and let me know what you think - I'd value your opinion. I tried the PPT and preferred the Via Coro I play, along with my Berg Larsen Ebonite 70/1 but should give it another go.

Of these, the only one I've ever played is a Berg, which was also a 70/1, and i really didn't like it, although it was so long ago I can't really recall why. Maybe it comes down to that massive variable, personal taste. If I ever get a chance to try a Soprano Planet or Drake, I'll do a comparison and let you know what I think.

Jon

Hi Jeanette

I find the PPT to be more fleible in terms of the range of tones I can get with ease. The core tone of the Bari is great, and it's very easy to play, but the PPT enables me to go from bright to warm, and I can get a bit more raunchiness out of too. The PPT is a good bit louder as well. I prefer the PPT, but if the only mouthpiece I could ever have was the Bari, I'd be perfectly happy.

Jon

Thanks Jon

Jx