Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Soprano mp advice

dooce

I've got a BW bronze soprano which I bought as a bit of a toy but I am using it more in a new band I've joined, "noodling" over slow ballady stuff like Summertime, Fever etc. I play a Selmer D mp but I am looking to maximise a warmer, rounder, more mellow sound.

I'm quite happy to spend an afternoon in Jules emporium or somewhere similar trying stuff, but any ideas where I start short-listing?

TomMapfumo

Hi Bill!

As the proud owner of a BW Bronze Curved Soprano I can share my 2 penny-worth. The ones that I have settled on for a good rich sound are a Vandoren V16 HR S6, and a Brancher metal Jazz J15. The second is a more mellow sound and plays well. The other mouthpiece that you may want to look into for mellower jazz sounds is a LeBayle Jazz HR. I have tried a Tenor version and it was beautifully mellow. Now, mellow is not my own thing, but both the above should be worth trying. IMHO.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I've got one too and I've found a Yanagisawa ebonite works best for me... However the followingo thers were pretty strong contenders too- Vandoren V16, Berg Larsen Grained Ebonite, Metal -either BARI or Yanagisawa again...

rhysonsax

I think that the BW curvie is based on the Yanagisawa SC991/992 design. On my SC991 I really like a Berg Larsen 65/2 for its warm and sweet sound. Out of my box of soprano pieces an old Selmer (think it pre-dates the Soloist) and a Tibbs piece in sterling silver are nice and warm too.

If you are in a shop with plenty of stock I would recommend having a blow on Meyer, Link and Vandoren (all in ebonite).

Rhys

visionari1

Thanks Bill and others.
I'll also be checking out MPS fairly soon and will follow up on these suggestions.
Cheers & caio
Jimu

taiwanpaul

I bought my sop mpc at Ed Pillinger's. Spent a few hours there trying his mpcs. I am very satisfied with the sound of his Jazz bronzite mpc, its warm and round. If you're near London, and have time, well worth a visit!

Morgan Fry

Sorta depends on how much you want to spend, but short of getting a handmade piece, the Yanigasawas are as good a design as any and better than most for a middle-of-the-road warm sound.

visionari1

taiwanpaul said:
I bought my sop mpc at Ed Pillinger's. Spent a few hours there trying his mps…

…If you're near London, and have time, well worth a visit!

Gday Taiwanpaul,

Still in NZ at the moment , But heading for London shortly, where is he exactly?
Ciao
Jimu

Staff online

Top Bottom