holly  All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities holly
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Soprano mp advice

dooce

I've got a BW bronze soprano which I bought as a bit of a toy but I am using it more in a new band I've joined, "noodling" over slow ballady stuff like Summertime, Fever etc. I play a Selmer D mp but I am looking to maximise a warmer, rounder, more mellow sound.

I'm quite happy to spend an afternoon in Jules emporium or somewhere similar trying stuff, but any ideas where I start short-listing?

TomMapfumo

Hi Bill!

As the proud owner of a BW Bronze Curved Soprano I can share my 2 penny-worth. The ones that I have settled on for a good rich sound are a Vandoren V16 HR S6, and a Brancher metal Jazz J15. The second is a more mellow sound and plays well. The other mouthpiece that you may want to look into for mellower jazz sounds is a LeBayle Jazz HR. I have tried a Tenor version and it was beautifully mellow. Now, mellow is not my own thing, but both the above should be worth trying. IMHO.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I've got one too and I've found a Yanagisawa ebonite works best for me... However the followingo thers were pretty strong contenders too- Vandoren V16, Berg Larsen Grained Ebonite, Metal -either BARI or Yanagisawa again...

rhysonsax

I think that the BW curvie is based on the Yanagisawa SC991/992 design. On my SC991 I really like a Berg Larsen 65/2 for its warm and sweet sound. Out of my box of soprano pieces an old Selmer (think it pre-dates the Soloist) and a Tibbs piece in sterling silver are nice and warm too.

If you are in a shop with plenty of stock I would recommend having a blow on Meyer, Link and Vandoren (all in ebonite).

Rhys

taiwanpaul

I bought my sop mpc at Ed Pillinger's. Spent a few hours there trying his mpcs. I am very satisfied with the sound of his Jazz bronzite mpc, its warm and round. If you're near London, and have time, well worth a visit!

Morgan Fry

Sorta depends on how much you want to spend, but short of getting a handmade piece, the Yanigasawas are as good a design as any and better than most for a middle-of-the-road warm sound.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom