All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Soprano in the Church

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
Absolutely gorgeous Jim

Jamesmac

Thanks Clivey. Pleased you like it. The nowhere to hide Acc works well for the occasional signing of the register. In Church.:)

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Started my day so beautifully. Thank you and what a player you are, so enjoyable, more please.

Jamesmac

Thanks Guys. :)I don't know what we players would do without these old chestnuts. It's worth noting that Schubert the composer died at the very young age of 32. What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall at the Viennese coffee shop ( Pub) where he held court.

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon

Jamesmac

Thanks Sue. I'm a bit embarrassed by some of these very very kind comments.
I think the Sop can also be a very versatile Sax, and I think I benefit from the fact, it is the Sax most suitable for Classical music.:)

Reactions: Sue

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
The intonation and tonal control are superb. It is not often that one hears a soprano saxophone played without the characteristic vibrato. Apparently this was a conscious choice on your part. Would you mind sharing your thinking about the use of this "embellishment" to the sound.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
I have sent this link to so many of my pals and have been thanked so much. Cheers James. It really is very very good

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Taken as a compliment. If I could offer any advice for someone, it would be to go and see Ed Pillinger.

Yes, very nice indeed. Was it recorded in a Church ?

Both you and Aldevis recommend Ed Pillinger. I have just gone back to a Pillinger piece that I bought and am really enjoying it. Can you tell us what Pillinger piece you use ?

Rhys

Jamesmac

The intonation and tonal control are superb. It is not often that one hears a soprano saxophone played without the characteristic vibrato. Apparently this was a conscious choice on your part. Would you mind sharing your thinking about the use of this "embellishment" to the sound.

Very perceptive of you to notice that. Well if I can be so bold as to answer. The music itself calls for simple sincere expression. Which can only be achieved with a less affected sound. We are fortunate to play an instrument like the Sop or Clarinet that can be very expressive without the use of vibrato, unlike the Violin, which needs some vibrato to keep the tone alive.
But as you say the intonation and control need to be there to achieve the goal. In a longer classical piece, it is normal to hear this in a section or a few phrases, as you are probably aware.:)

Jamesmac

Yes, very nice indeed. Was it recorded in a Church ?

Both you and Aldevis recommend Ed Pillinger. I have just gone back to a Pillinger piece that I bought and am really enjoying it. Can you tell us what Pillinger piece you use ?

Rhys

I play this in church if asked, but this was recorded at home.
Not with the sop at the mo.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom