All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Sonny Stitt

Kingsleyhk

Didn't Stitt move to tenor to try and avoid the Bird clone accusations. I like him a lot and have a few of his CD's. Sonny Side up is a good one.

I believe so - the criticism plus his association with Gene Ammons seems to have shifted him more to tenor - although of course he continued to play and record on alto. I do find him more distinctive on tenor but really enjoy his alto playing as well.

I am getting Sonny side up next week (I hope).

AndyWhiteford

Sonny was a major influence for me, for many years, on both tenor & alto, and I have a large collection of his recordings, maybe 50 albums. I also have a big folders full of his transcribed solos, including some PDFs I made myself. There's also 2 published books of solos and the 2 PDF-file collections of his solos out there on the web. He's a very "study-able" player ;-)

If you only buy *one* Stitt album, I'd say get "Constellation" (1972), he's at his peak, on alto & tenor, on a range of tempos & tunes.

"Stitt plays Bird" (1963) is certainly worth a listen, the uninitiated might think they sound alike, but Sonny's take on the Parker tunes is actually quite different/ distinctive.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyWhiteford

by the way - - Sonny Stitt is EASY, even a 12 year old can play his solos !:

>:)

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Sonny was a major influence for me, for many years, on both tenor & alto, and I have a large collection of his recordings, maybe 50 albums. I also have a big folders full of his transcribed solos, including some PDFs I made myself.

<message>: Aldevis: you have transferred 90 coolpoints to AndyWhiteford's account.
<message>: Aldevis: you have 135 coolpoints remaining
<end of message>

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom