support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Song Of The Month Nov 2019

So here's my Sunday afternoon effort. I got BIAB a few weeks ago so I had a go at doing a Bossa version (after hearing @randulo 's Bossa version). I even managed somehow to get a playable ending out of BIAB somehow. I tried the 1st / 2nd endings things but I couldn't get it to work, so I ended up using tags - it was a strange process...

So here's my Sunday afternoon effort. I got BIAB a few weeks ago so I had a go at doing a Bossa version (after hearing @randulo 's Bossa version). I even managed somehow to get a playable ending out of BIAB somehow. I tried the 1st / 2nd endings things but I couldn't get it to work, so I ended up using tags - it was a strange process...

Thanks Mark. Good low notes, big sound. I had big problems with repeats on BiaB because the 1st X bar was a 1st and 2nd X bar, and the "2nd X" bar was the 3rd X... I couldn't get the tag to work either - Nigel sorted that one for me!

I found a decent backing track with organ from StandardsTrax and played my tenor with it. The organist took a solo of 16 bars and then surprised me with an ending.

Days of Wine and Roses - Rhys tenor with organ V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Well done Rhys. A nice flavour with the Hammond. You skirted the tune early in your solo well as a guide to getting around the changes - well spotted. For a simple-sounding tune it can go badly quite quickly if you're not hearing the harmony too well in places. Great stuff.

I did some quick and dirty (meaning without much preparation and in only one or two takes) recordings of this song back in April 2015. Recorded a slow version at 90 bpm with a bass only backing and a faster one with a backing track from YouTube .

Here is the slower take, which was actually the first time I ever played this song (recorded before the faster take posted below). The start wasn't that bad I think, but I lost my way a bit after that, resulting in some very 'out' playing and not so clean altissimo! Kind of raw and adventurous take, PB searching his way through a new song:

- 'Days Of Wine And Roses' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2 - slow):

And here is the link to the faster and more clean take, played on the same setup as the slower version posted above:

- 'Days Of Wine And Roses' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2 - fast):

Back
Top Bottom