Song Of The Month Nov 2019

Mark Hancock

So here's my Sunday afternoon effort. I got BIAB a few weeks ago so I had a go at doing a Bossa version (after hearing @randulo 's Bossa version). I even managed somehow to get a playable ending out of BIAB somehow. I tried the 1st / 2nd endings things but I couldn't get it to work, so I ended up using tags - it was a strange process...
https://soundcloud.com/mark-hancock-12379222%2Fdays-of-wine-and-roses

randulo

22 months since I began - 3.5% of my adult life
Subscriber
Next up, BotM, Mark? Nice work on the ending and nice playing!

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

So here's my Sunday afternoon effort. I got BIAB a few weeks ago so I had a go at doing a Bossa version (after hearing @randulo 's Bossa version). I even managed somehow to get a playable ending out of BIAB somehow. I tried the 1st / 2nd endings things but I couldn't get it to work, so I ended up using tags - it was a strange process...
https://soundcloud.com/mark-hancock-12379222%2Fdays-of-wine-and-roses
Thanks Mark. Good low notes, big sound. I had big problems with repeats on BiaB because the 1st X bar was a 1st and 2nd X bar, and the "2nd X" bar was the 3rd X... I couldn't get the tag to work either - Nigel sorted that one for me!

randulo

Subscriber
Nice work if you can get it it and you can get it if you try.

randulo

Subscriber
Speaking of original (as we often do in long threads) this is! What a tone and expression. Bravo!

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

I found a decent backing track with organ from StandardsTrax and played my tenor with it. The organist took a solo of 16 bars and then surprised me with an ending.

Days of Wine and Roses - Rhys tenor with organ V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Well done Rhys. A nice flavour with the Hammond. You skirted the tune early in your solo well as a guide to getting around the changes - well spotted. For a simple-sounding tune it can go badly quite quickly if you're not hearing the harmony too well in places. Great stuff.

mrpeebee

I did some quick and dirty (meaning without much preparation and in only one or two takes) recordings of this song back in April 2015. Recorded a slow version at 90 bpm with a bass only backing and a faster one with a backing track from YouTube .

Here is the slower take, which was actually the first time I ever played this song (recorded before the faster take posted below). The start wasn't that bad I think, but I lost my way a bit after that, resulting in some very 'out' playing and not so clean altissimo! Kind of raw and adventurous take, PB searching his way through a new song:

- 'Days Of Wine And Roses' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2 - slow):

And here is the link to the faster and more clean take, played on the same setup as the slower version posted above:

- 'Days Of Wine And Roses' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2 - fast):

SYOS
Top Bottom