SYOS

Somewhere Over the Rainbow 1/5/2020 #NhsStaysafe#

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
@nigeld curvy sounding very good, what made you go for one?

Jx
I have a Sequoia straight sax (I think it may be the one you liked!), but I thought a curvy would be more comfortable for occasional playing. And it is.

Or to put it another way, GAS.

I’m quite impressed with how easy it was to pick up and play the Bauhaus after hardly playing soprano for a year, but I had to keep checking my tuner. The bad news with a new soprano is that the intonation is all over the place. The good news is that it’s easy to bend it back, though I did need to use a modified fingering (added side Bb) to get the top C up to pitch.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
There's a version from the Clarinet Society for saxophone quintet (SAATB). I couldn't resist.
My first attempt was slower than their recommendation, 'cos its a ballad. It was too slow, and it ended up as a glutinous mess. So I went back to the recommended speed.

This was the first outing for my new Bauhaus Walstein curvy soprano.

https://soundcloud.com/user-935648777%2Frainbow-quintet
Very impressive. Sounds great!

rhysonsax

I have a couple of arrangements of "Over The Rainbow" for saxophone quartet, and this is the slightly easier one.

Over The Rainbow - Sax Quartet Rhys V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS I think I have worked out that I need a slightly different reverb when mixing together four dry saxophones compared with one dry saxophone and a backing track. This uses a "medium room" reverb. And I haven't used any compression on any of the saxes.

nigeld

Subscriber
I have a couple of arrangements of "Over The Rainbow" for saxophone quartet, and this is the slightly easier one.

Over The Rainbow - Sax Quartet Rhys V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS I think I have worked out that I need a slightly different reverb when mixing together four dry saxophones compared with one dry saxophone and a backing track. This uses a "medium room" reverb. And I haven't used any compression on any of the saxes.
Very good!

rhysonsax

It's gone a bit quiet on the BOTM and SOTM threads, but I guess that sometimes happens as the month progresses. Anyway, I have been working at the version recorded on alto by Arne Domnerus (I posted the YouTube elsewhere) - I transcribed that in the first week or so, tried to make a BiaB backing track with a similar Samba double-time feel and then have been trying to get my fingers and brain round what is a really demanding solo.

For the backing track I replaced the piano solo with the BiaB Samba guitar soloist who did a nice job.

I realised I had to slow it down by at least 10% from Arne's tempo and then I recorded it this afternoon.

Over The Rainbow - Rhys Alto V1a.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS If anyone would like to see my transcription it is here: Over The Rainbow - Arne Domnerus Alto solo V2 - Arne Domnerus (Alto Sax).pdf - Box

Last edited:

nigeld

Subscriber
Well done. That was a really hard solo and you nailed it.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
To keep me motivated I'm going to commit to recording this one, not sure how long it will take as I have to set all my recording stuff up again, it's been boxed since we moved last June. I was also having trouble with software recording programmes too before I packed it all away!

Jx
Friendly reminder....
:)

OP
trimmy

trimmy

One day i will...
It’s been great hearing all the versions posted, almost end of the month and still time for one or two more versions (mine included) I’ll be practising hard tomorrow to upload a version :)

Mark Hancock

Subscriber

nigeld

Subscriber
We have come to the end of the month, and next month's ballad is ready to go, so many thanks to @trimmy for acting as host and to all the contributors.

As usual, this thread will remain open, and further contributions are very welcome (hint, hint @trimmy).

OP
trimmy

trimmy

One day i will...
Well a promise is a promise!
Any comments welcome :)

Thanks for hosting @trimmy and big thanks to @nigeld for keeping the threads going :thanks3:

Jx
Well done lady :clapping:
As usual, this thread will remain open, and further contributions are very welcome (hint, hint @trimmy)
Thank you for all you do Nigel, and i will upload a version in a day or so, was totally wiped out today with hay fever.
As Jx says a promise is a promise
:)
A big thank you to all who contributed, excellent versions to be had.

ESJohn

Love that tune! I also enjoy "When you wish upon a star...." I think it's the hopefulness represented. We need much more of that!
Thanks for sharing those!

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom