All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Something other than you normally hear..

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
Hi Everybody,

first post in this section (listened to a few though)

At the end of the summer round the beginning of september, I got a mail (after sending my reply to their quest for saxophonist) from a indy band if I would help them out with a song for a few beers and a meal.. They hadn`t a lot of money and I was up for the experience so why not?

So I was told there would be some sheet music to play along with, but when I got there well the opposite was true. I'm a classical schooled saxophone player and I stopped taking lessons at 16 (school exams coming up etc..) so I'm not a schooled improvisor, I do have excellent hearing and I transcribe a lot of music.

It`s not something you would here a lot it`s very mellow music maybe a bit melancholic? It reminds me of rainy weather and brown leaves.

I played tenor and alto in this song, see if you can spot them both? I'm not a huge fan of how he mixed it but it sounds really nice but the tenor (amati toneking + lelandais superjazz IV) is hard to hear. Alto sounds sometimes a bit clarinettish (cannonball sax + OL tone edge 7*)

Let me know what you think of it..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19536871/Instr.inclsx.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:

Wade Cornell

To be honest I couldn't hear a sax anywhere so must be so far back in the mix that it's indistinguishable. Hopefully it was a good experience for you and you enjoyed yourself. The song/tune doesn’t' do much for me as it seems to just repeat itself and go nowhere, but that's not your fault or worry. Maybe you can post something some time where we can actually hear you play?

Koen88

To be honest I couldn't hear a sax anywhere so must be so far back in the mix that it's indistinguishable. Hopefully it was a good experience for you and you enjoyed yourself. The song/tune doesn’t' do much for me as it seems to just repeat itself and go nowhere, but that's not your fault or worry. Maybe you can post something some time where we can actually hear you play?

oh darnet, this was the edit I got on forehand to listen.. that will be quite difficult to hear a sax on that haha. I fixed the link, so wade you can hear the added effect of sax.

Wade Cornell

OK got you now, but it's pretty hard to Identify that as a sax. Could be a flute or more likely an electronic instrument/midi. Very reverb/echoed out. I guess what you played fitted, and it certainly filled up the hole that was in the middle of the song.

As said in the first reply I hope you enjoyed the experience. What you did was certainly an improvement, but the music really doesn't appeal much. I'd have found it frustrating to have my sound so processed that I couldn't even identify the instrument.

No matter, I guess all experience is good and hopefully this music appeals to someone out there who will get off on it.

Koen88

OK got you now, but it's pretty hard to Identify that as a sax. Could be a flute or more likely an electronic instrument/midi. Very reverb/echoed out. I guess what you played fitted, and it certainly filled up the hole that was in the middle of the song.

As said in the first reply I hope you enjoyed the experience. What you did was certainly an improvement, but the music really doesn't appeal much. I'd have found it frustrating to have my sound so processed that I couldn't even identify the instrument.

No matter, I guess all experience is good and hopefully this music appeals to someone out there who will get off on it.

Yes I had a great time doing it. Creating the music as we went a long, I really liked toying around with music like that, being creative and inventive.

Top Bottom