support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

someone new ringing your bell

ronschi

Locality
Brighton
Hello

I like the look of this forum so thought I'd come in and look around, make a comment or two and ask for advice. That OK with you all?

My name is Ron, 66 yrs, now retired (officially). Artist, photographer but always wanted to be a muso.

Musical tastes? The trouble is too many. Never really got jazz until I got my first sax and tried playing along. I got it then. Jazz is for the musician way more than the listener, unless that listener is some real cool dude (hope that's not too controversial). But I love and adore rock! (I'm not the most subtle person in the world).

I have an alto (yamaha) and a tenor (yanigisawa) which I am about to sell. More on that in the appropriate forum.

Well good to meet you. This seems a really comfortable place and I'll do my best to keep it that way.

Ron

Welcome Young Ron, (hope I guessed right),
Well I'll make an offer of a fiver for the Yannie as they are rubbish and all I really want is an excuse to donate to Pete's charity. I promise to put it straight in the dustbin. >:)

The others might have contradictory advice but in the meantime, enjoy.

Welcome to the BR, I see OG is already offering his sagely advice, personally I hope you are replacing the tenor and not just keeping one sax, I mean really, who ever heard of a satisfied sax player with only one horn! :w00t:

Welcome to the forum Rod

Whereabouts in the country are you from Ron?

I find it amusing when people say they don't like jazz. The genre is so diverse. Surely they can't dislike all of it.

Anyway, I'm glad you have come to your senses. I do know what you mean about jazz making more sense when you start to listen to it as a musician.

mamos

Thank you all for your welcome. I especially enjoyed the 'young' part OG but I shall have to keep my eye on you. You're obviously a very dodgy character. My yani is worth at least double that.
Taz you don't want the whole sorry story but no I'm not replacing it. Wouldn't sell it if I could replace it - I love that thing! Caught your utube page. Wish I had found this forum or something like it when I first started, I would sure have benefited from some of your advice.
Thanks Phil - neighbour.
Mamos man, I'm from not so sunny Brighton, it's currently p'ing it down and blowing harder than I ever could on my sax. It's not that I didn't like jazz it's that I just didn't 'get it'. I'm not sure I could ever call myself a musician. It's just that when I could play at all I soon realised what a blast it was doing all that 'stuff'. But at that stage I was more interested in playing faster and louder than any of those greats I tried to play along with. It's a wonder the walls are still standing. . . . and do you know, I never once got a complaint from a neighbour (terraced house) even though I would practice for hours every day - and it wasn't pretty.
Will doubtless meet you all again so bye for now and thanks again - Ron

Like the outfit PeeDee. Do those feathers keep the rain off? If so could you send some up my way.

Hi Ron and welcome. I'm only about 40 miles North of you and indeed the weather has not been good!

You're right about OG - a very dodgy character and he has several minders who look after his Zimmer frame (me) and his transport (Smiffy), among others, and his mob even has an official mol on here. But he does have a penthouse full of instruments and a cellar bar where you can play loud and not upset anyone, plus a local caff that does good coffee, so we keep him on side.
Colin

Hi Ron, warm welcome from just inside the north circular, i don't live there! Just work there. I'm sure you'll enjoy all the batty winter on this site. Beware of the few nutters we've got, as you can see some are already trying to take advantage of you...
You might sometimes get some good advice. See in the differents posts, Phil :w00t:

Hey there Young Colin my boy, glad you're prepared to dish the dirt on that Old Git. But I got his number right away. Sounds like you all have far too much fun round there at OG's.

Justin I'm sure you're a nice guy but I have to say - Athens of the north eh?! I've been there and there's one big thing missing, one huge thing. I have seen it myself here in Brighton but it was a long time ago. I think someone called it 'the sun' or something like that.

Visionari1 Come sta, nice to meet an Italian New Zealander. Strange to be greeted by someone so far away. I still can't get over this amazing whole world thing.

Inside the North circular eh Phil, exotic! Batty winter had me going for a while, it sounded familiar but wrong! Maybe I'm more familiar with witty banter, perhaps that's what you meant but made a typo?

Now different posts. Perhaps one or two of you could guide me here so I don't do something unforgiveable. For health reasons I have had to give up blowing those things at least for a while. For other more current reasons I need to sell one of my saxes which I've mentioned before. I have a friend who is interested in buying it but neither of us know its value. I don't want to rip him off but don't want to undersell an old friend. Is it reasonable to ask folks in here to offer an opinion as to its value. Happy to contribute to the charity if I sell it. If it's ok, which room should I post the details? OG has offered me a fiver but I hope it's worth a bit more.

Ron

It's too bad that you are having to let the tenor go. Post the details on Yard Sale. I can't help you as to value.

As I look out of my window, there is still no sign of the sun.

Jim.

Thanks Jim. I must tell you there is something shining in my eyes at this moment. I hope it's on it's way to you

Ron

Hello Ron and welcome to the BR from the land of Ben & Jerry's ice cream.

~ are you sure you want to let your tenor go? ;}

¡Hola! and welcome to the BR from Spain. Enjoy yourself here ... great crowd and an enormously useful source of info ...

Welcome Ron, like most, from somewhere else, I am sitting here, after work!!!! and as usual enjoying the Breakfast Room. Sorry you have to sell the tenor. I am sure there are lots of talented persons on this site who will help you price the horn.:mrcool:mrcool

Batty winter, was meant to be a typo... Doh!!
Hey there Young Colin my boy, glad you're prepared to dish the dirt on that Old Git. But I got his number right away. Sounds like you all have far too much fun round there at OG's.

Justin I'm sure you're a nice guy but I have to say - Athens of the north eh?! I've been there and there's one big thing missing, one huge thing. I have seen it myself here in Brighton but it was a long time ago. I think someone called it 'the sun' or something like that.

Visionari1 Come sta, nice to meet an Italian New Zealander. Strange to be greeted by someone so far away. I still can't get over this amazing whole world thing.

Inside the North circular eh Phil, exotic! Batty winter had me going for a while, it sounded familiar but wrong! Maybe I'm more familiar with witty banter, perhaps that's what you meant but made a typo?

Now different posts. Perhaps one or two of you could guide me here so I don't do something unforgiveable. For health reasons I have had to give up blowing those things at least for a while. For other more current reasons I need to sell one of my saxes which I've mentioned before. I have a friend who is interested in buying it but neither of us know its value. I don't want to rip him off but don't want to undersell an old friend. Is it reasonable to ask folks in here to offer an opinion as to its value. Happy to contribute to the charity if I sell it. If it's ok, which room should I post the details? OG has offered me a fiver but I hope it's worth a bit more.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom