All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Somebody slap me….

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
…and tell me- "Get yourself together, man!"
Let me explain- I’ve been gigging regularly for more year than I care to remember and have never really let myself get too worried about my kit. The best tenor I could afford, accompanied by a Lawton or Berg Larsen mouthpiece and V16/ LaVoz/ Plasticover reeds. I’ve experimented a bit with different mouthpieces down the ages but pretty much knew where I stood as a Berg Larsen-ist, and could always fall back on that as my default piece of choice. A few gigs later and I’d be quite happy.
Now I’ve got a relatively new and utterly splendid TJ Raw tenor and- courtesy of Mr Credit Crunch vs Fat45 & Sandy Dillon’s record label- a real serious gig drought. The result- I’ve started getting neurotic about mouthpieces and it really doesn’t suit me! …..Hm, are Berg right for me? Would I be better off with a Link? Aren’t SR tech pieces great? Could I stretch to a Theo- and would it be a good move? Very tempted by a Spectruouso (I arbitrarily blame Saxby for that!)…. Help, I’ve hurled myself into mouthpiece hell!!!! :(

Saxlicker

Slap....

Pull your self together man!!!

A good Berg is a great choice, slap on a new reed and blow!

jazzdoh

I know exactly where you are coming from.
I gave up playing in more than one band about 18/24 months ago because of a worsening back problem,although the band I'm in now gigs regularly i find i have more time on my hands and i am constantly questioning my equipment especially mouthpieces.
I am happy with my RPC,Drake,Bergs and Quantum pieces but always think there is the holy grail just round the corner.
I would love to try a vintage Meyer Bros New York but not at the prices they are now.

Brian

BUMNOTE

Slaaap!! Dont do it,dont go down that road your head will be scrambled,my teacher plays all the sax.s one mouthpiece for each one,and he tours and gigs and records,no problem...stay sane:thumb:Bumnote.

jazzdoh

Slaaap!! Dont do it,dont go down that road your head will be scrambled,my teacher plays all the sax.s one mouthpiece for each one,and he tours and gigs and records,no problem...stay sane:thumb:Bumnote.
Do you mean he tours,gigs and records without a backup mouthpiece,that could be bad if he drops his one and only mouthpiece especially if he is booked to play just tenor.
Have seen this happen luckily another tenor player had a spare which saved this persons gig.

Brian

BUMNOTE

Not 100% sure if he has back up mouthpiece on tours and stuff,he told me one mp for his four saxs and not seen him change mp,s when i am there,he says he has found what works for him,but is aware whats out there.Bumnote.

jonf

If you like, I can ride down to Crowborough and give you a smack in the mouth.

Now, listen up. You're a Berg Larsen man through and through. Plasticovers. Something to hold the Plasticover on the Berg. That's it. Now stop ****ing about, you big Jessie.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
My, you're one warped individual. Thinking that being unfaithful to a wonderful mouthpiece will solve the gig drought. Get real man. You're just taking out your frustrations on a poor defencless and innocent piece of seriously good kit.

Now if you want to see reality and how the other half lives, I've got a very nice (honest) Lakey you can have. Then you'll see some sense, even without a good slapping.

Now go and apologise to the berg, kiss and make up - then blow the crap out of the TJ with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Ignore the rest completely! They know not what they say. Now, go get yourself an ice cold shower and a large handful of nettles and give thyself a good flogging around the nether regions! Then, when one has finally finished, go and have a damn good busk using.......you got it...... your Berg! Go on, you know you want to!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
But if you find the right mouthpiece you can have that full bodied sound that is lacking from Bergs....>:)

I left my BL 4 years ago (after 8 years of loyal service), and never had a decent sound from it again.
You are a grown up man now: you can play something with no baffle!

old git

Tremendous Bore
It's like looking for a good politician. There all well intentioned but perfection does not exist.

Would you like the CaSLM chastisement rate brochure? Remember that transport costs are extra and The Official Moll is another 25%.

TomMapfumo

Of course you could just be about to enter a Mouthpiece Cafe House Blend/Phil-Tone Equinox phase - you lucky man............:shocked::w00t:;} !

Saxby

The change of sax often leads on a mpce journey for me as well..
When I got my Borg I realised this (once again - I might add) hence the Francois Louis....Sorry Jules :shrug:
The point for me is the only way to try out pieces is to gig them.
Practicing with them is one thing but its only in a live situation that you can really feel what is right/wrong with a piece.
I am a great admirer of Ellery Eskelin, hence my trying out FL's, but reading his blog he generally sits with a refacer and gets them tweaked which IMO is the best way to go - he currently plays a Lebayle II btw...
If your generally happy with your berg but feel it's missing something (I always hated the low notes using bergs) then maybe sitting with a refacer may be the way to go for you?
Other than that say goodbye to your family for a week, take a sleeping bag to work and every night when the store shuts, methodically go through every mpce on the shelves in search of perfection...

BigMartin

It's like looking for a good politician. There all well intentioned but perfection does not exist.
?????????????????

Have you finally lost it OG? I believe the last surviving well-intentioned politician died a few days ago. As for the rmodern ones, if I expressed my opinion here I'd be banned from this forum on so many grounds...

Sunray

:confused2: Well Jules ...

If you can't sort yourself out, considering where you spend most of your daytime's ...

You will deserve more than a bloomin good slap mate ... :)))

Jules

:confused2: Well Jules ...

If you can't sort yourself out, considering where you spend most of your daytime's ...

You will deserve more than a bloomin good slap mate ... :)))
Actually that might well be more of a problem than a solution..... a bit like putting an alcoholic behind a bar!!!

altissimo

"The best tenor I could afford, accompanied by a Lawton or Berg Larsen" - so what's your problem, exactly????

you're not gigging, so you're getting bored - you don't need a mouthpiece, you need inspiration - so go do something that's not sax related and stop fretting about it

While I don't wish to discourage you from arbitrarily blaming him for everything, if you're going to use Saxby as an example, just bear in mind he's had 4 different saxes and umpteen mouthpieces and still sounds exactly the same as he ever did - that's why we banished him to Poland...>:)

Jules

You are a grown up man now: you can play something with no baffle!
Yup- I loved my Vandoren V16, with little to no baffle- beautiful in pracitce mode or at quiet gigs... absolutely inaudible on stage with Fat45... If it worked in a loud context I could have played on that one forever

Saxby

Guilty as charged...
..............sorry Guv' you got me bang to rights...as much as I try.... I'm still me !
:welldone

Thats pretty true, I do still sound like me on a Selmer, Keilwerth, Mauriat, Borgani and Yamaha BUT those saxes all sound different, as if slightly different spectrums of me.
The same with mpces.
To me via bone conduction etc, all mpces sound different, to the listener less so.
What you can do on various mpces depends on so many factors including comfort, shape/width of beak, slim/wide profile, match with fave reeds/ligs etc...
Then what you require the mpce to do for you becomes important, screaming rock n'roll or precisely articulated 16th notes for 200 bars playing in 5,7 and 9/4...? OR as is the case for me Both....

andyb1970

I'd think that you have an advantage considering where you work, or should that be disadvantage :).......you know I'm a recovering addict myself in trying mouthpieces..what cured me was two things:

a) Getting utterly and absolutely fed up with the time wasted trying various mouthpieces over the last few months.
b) Finally finding a mouthpiece that does everything, and that would be a Phil Tone Equinox.

Seriously though it is a slippery slope - time is much better spent on other things than being pulled into the which mouthpiece is best void. I think every sax player at some point will go through this and ultimately learn from it. Either ignore it as you have previously been doing, or embrace it and see where the journey takes you :)

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom