support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jazz Some Swiss Jazz!

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
Just ordered a new CD "The Gift" by Susanne Abbuehl, who makes significant use of Flugelhorn player Matthieu Michel, both of whom are Swiss:

Hope you enjoy it!
Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes very pleasant. Hardly jazz though. More folk/world. This one sounds a bit Marie Breatnach with a bit of June Tabor.

You don't know what you are talking about, old man!

"Susanne Abbuehl (born July 30, 1970 in Bern, canton of Berne, Switzerland) is a Swiss jazz singer who performs in various jazz mediums like Progressive jazz, avant-garde jazz, Continental jazz, and post bop."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanne_Abbuehl

Interesting, from Wikipedia, she played with Michel Portal a Jazz and classical Clarinetist. I will have to wait till I get on the desktop to listen to the posted vid. BTW you don't ever need an umbrella around town in Bern. One of my favourite cities.:)

Always important to own ignorance! You need to get out more, and learn about what goes on in the rest of Europe. Samuel Blaser and Eric Truffaz are other Swiss Jazzers worth looking up.

Kind regards
Tom

ERIC TRUFFAZ IS SWISS? You are kidding me. What is next? Magritte Belgian? Le Corbusier Swiss? Britten English?

I always wondered why the Art Ensemble of Chicago never recorded "When the Saints Go Marchin' In"

ERIC TRUFFAZ IS SWISS? You are kidding me. What is next? Magritte Belgian? Le Corbusier Swiss? Britten English?

I always wondered why the Art Ensemble of Chicago never recorded "When the Saints Go Marchin' In"

Benjamin Britten was born in Lowestoft, England, on November 22, 1913
i know that being born in a stable don't make you a donkey, but as far as I know, Britten is English.

I've just listened to an album by The Art Ensemble of Chicago and parts of it sounded like Punch and Judy's bedroom on a particularly friendly night. That's the way to do it.

Eric was born in Switzerland (Chene Bougeries) on 3 April 1960 to French parents, so he is a mixture of both, technically speaking.

It's Érik Truffaz, not Eric Truffaz.

Le Corbusier is a red herring - born Swiss, naturalised french.

Keep it friendly please guys.

I certainly wouldn't call it jazz either. Suppose it just goes to show that anything can be defined as jazuz, depending on whom you're talking to. I'd put this down as new age.

Just had a listen to the vid. Thanks for posting. You can see the indian influence, and as the travelling musicians from that part of the world were responsible for eastern Europian Gypsy music, you could say its Gypsy music without the fast bit. Anyway very easy on the ear. But just before the end i thought it started raining, until i took the cans off.:)

Always important to own ignorance! You need to get out more, and learn about what goes on in the rest of Europe. Samuel Blaser and Eric Truffaz are other Swiss Jazzers worth looking up.

Kind regards
Tom

Jeeez Tom. If I owned all my ignorance I'd need a bigger house. And if you want to take me out just ask. X

Kev, its Progressive Jazz, not New Age. You need to get out more!

Kev, its Progressive Jazz, not New Age. You need to get out more!

I get out a lot, and that isn't my sort of music. Mindless meandering. Goes nowhere, does nothing except bore the pants off me.

Mindless meandering. Goes nowhere,
Thas is actually what I like of it (I call this style ECM, even if it comes under another label), as long as it does not become mannerism. It often does.
does nothing except bore the pants off me.
You should stay at home more and listen to it with some participation.:)

Recommended album: Tomasz Stanko, Lontano

Just ordered a new CD "The Gift" by Susanne Abbuehl, who makes significant use of Flugelhorn player Matthieu Michel, both of whom are Swiss:

Hope you enjoy it!
Kind regards
Tom

My cents worth. This genre of music is better to play than to listen too.:)

Back
Top Bottom