All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Some Skunk Funk,Working Progress.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
This is a work in progress so rather ruff here and there.Messing about with my version of the crazy hard Some Skunk Funk by the amazing Brecker brothers.Only spent a few hours on it this week but its got i hope :confused:.Its as hard as Giant steps at its original tempo to sound convincing.They were the stellar section for me.Tight aint good enough a word for that duo.
www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hi Davey, Brecker Brothers eh? Love it , down and dirty. Can't imagine how you got your head round this one. Have you got the dots for the head? Got a bit noodly in the middle of the solo but, what the flip, I'm surprised your head didn't explode.
Respect marra, respect.

daveysaxboy

Hi Davey, Brecker Brothers eh? Love it , down and dirty. Can't imagine how you got your head round this one. Have you got the dots for the head? Got a bit noodly in the middle of the solo but, what the flip, I'm surprised your head didn't explode.
Respect marra, respect.
Yea i've wanted to do this for many years.Agree about the middle but like said i've only done a few hours on the thing and the head is a nightmare at this tempo.Starts of well in my improv i think and i started really trying to keep it flowing and trying out the tempo.I've no set time on this as i'm just going to try and keep improving it.Dont help i'm blowing over all the tune,its half the length really as Randy solos on the Breckers versions also.I tell you blowing a new tune at this tempo and for so long is hard.This is 1 of hardest funk songs going.Just the theme is relentless.This is like Giant steps were learning to flow and sound right takes soooo long.Remember when Coltrane recorded Giant steps he had worked on the piece for a year !!!!!!!!!! tunes like this you just keep plugging away at them every few weeks.

Littlewailer

Yea i've wanted to do this for many years.Agree about the middle but like said i've only done a few hours on the thing and the head is a nightmare at this tempo.Starts of well in my improv i think and i started really trying to keep it flowing and trying out the tempo.I've no set time on this as i'm just going to try and keep improving it.Dont help i'm blowing over all the tune,its half the length really as Randy solos on the Breckers versions also.I tell you blowing a new tune at this tempo and for so long is hard.This is 1 of hardest funk songs going.Just the theme is relentless.This is like Giant steps were learning to flow and sound right takes soooo long.Remember when Coltrane recorded Giant steps he had worked on the piece for a year !!!!!!!!!! tunes like this you just keep plugging away at them every few weeks.
I'm not saying I could do any better. In fact I tried this one in the past and it was a no go.

But what I hear as a casual observer is that you are very much playing in top of the changes as opposed to with the changes.

No matter what the tune this is a huge thing that I try and work on with my playing. Making it seem like you are dictating the song instead of it deciding what you are going to play.

Songs are vehicles of expression. Each unique and offering a different musical/ conversational quality. From a tune like Some Skunk Funk I personally want to hear a lot more flow. I find you starting on the one a lot. I do this also when I'm feeling rushed. All the really funky phrases start on the and of one I find.

daveysaxboy

I'm not saying I could do any better. In fact I tried this one in the past and it was a no go.

But what I hear as a casual observer is that you are very much playing in top of the changes as opposed to with the changes.

No matter what the tune this is a huge thing that I try and work on with my playing. Making it seem like you are dictating the song instead of it deciding what you are going to play.

Songs are vehicles of expression. Each unique and offering a different musical/ conversational quality. From a tune like Some Skunk Funk I personally want to hear a lot more flow. I find you starting on the one a lot. I do this also when I'm feeling rushed. All the really funky phrases start on the and of one I find.
Well as said its a working progress.I have stated i'm finding my feet with it.I think your observation is atad on the hard side.I've only spent a few hours total on 1 of hardest funk songs going.I agree with you on the longer it goes i'm sort of messing about and finding my feet but its a new crazy tempo tune so little steps.We are all used to hearing Mike Brecker rip this apart which gives us nearly no chance.You mention the changes which i agree but for me i'm a melodic,lyrical player i think and i end up not being bogged down on every chord.I like making little tunes in a tune.Sometimes it works,times not.This type of tune needs lots of practice over a long spell.The true sad fact is NO 1 will ever play this as good as Brecker.We mear mortals can only try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Littlewailer

Not meaning to sound harsh. Just hoping to help. I'm sure you're harder on yourself with your own playing than any of us are.

Just trying to mention specific stuff as opposed to adding yet another "Sounds great" (which is does).

peace.

daveysaxboy

Hey i see your points and there good 1's for sure.We all need thoughts,opinions.Fresh ears.I need to just keep plugging away on it.It is a monster hard tune.You blink and the flow is gone.The ruff version i done i just kept at it trying things and the solo is far to long.My trumpet player i work with is going to lay his part and solo on it.Should be far more polished then.He's a great lead trumpet player.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom