support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Some serious talk about saxophone cases

Account Closed
I already have three alto cases! Is is at all common to request not to purchase the case with it in your experiences?

(edit: there's good info here so I changed the title)

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem that there are many players who upgrade or abandon the original case. It would seem prudent to sell them on if you have too many. I can't see many retailers of new horns selling them caseless. It would entail making one sale into two sales. Add to this that all cases don't fit all saxes and problems ensue. Junk/SH shops may be another matter.

The number of players that carry a Yamaha in a gig bag is testament to the rugged durability of the horn. I have to be careful how I look at mine. Regulation goes out with my mood. ;)

If you're just going a short way, they're fine, but on a train or plane, if it's not in your lap, I wouldn't trust it. Electric guitars, on the other hand, they can fall down the stairs and still be fine. I had no idea of how complicated a machine the saxophone was until I got one!

Most accidents happen 10 minutes from home.

There is never a good time for a gig bag. Your horn can be dropped anywhere, anytime

Most accidents happen 10 minutes from home.

There is never a good time for a gig bag. Your horn can be dropped anywhere, anytime

My last accident took place at home. Horn fell off the bench! I responded to a bell ring and somewhat failed to set the horn properly on its stand. I caught it before it dropped all the way but stilbyook a hit.

No gig bag involved!

My teacher also had an accident with her alto falling off a proper case she thought was closed...

Like most accidents they happen in rather stupid circumstances. :confused2:

I already have three alto cases! Is is at all common to request not to purchase the case with it in your experiences?
You realise you could exercise the option to sell your empty cases?

Would 't the original case be the best option to protect your horn? Of all cases I tried with my saxes the best fitting every time was the original one. Recently replaced a YTS62 purple logo case by a new one. Guess what? After trying others I went with the current version 62 case. As snug and protective as it gets. Sell your 3 cases and keep the new that comes with the new Yamaha.

Alphorn

Yes, the original case is best. Selling cases is a real pain. They're costly to ship and people will need to come and see them and pick them up. Still, I will definitely try to sell them, two are brand new. I had one sold to a friend, but it didn't fit the guy's sax! Like @saxyjt my only harm was when I picked up a case and the horn fell out. I'd closed but not locked it. Got a small bell ding in the rental alto, but they didn't charge me for it.

Is is at all common to request not to purchase the case with it in your experiences?

I think it's harder to sell a sax without a case. If you are going to sell your sax and you don't have an orginal case I think some buyers are going to be suspicious. "Smash and grab" is still common when it comes saxes! For me it's. no case - no business. When I worked in a music shop it was not possible order a sax without a case. A sax was sold with case and mpc. It was better for us to give a good price on a flight case and a better mpc. What should we do with an Amati, B&S, ... case? To be frank, it's junk. It was easier with Selmer, Yani, Yamaha .... branded cases.

I'm listing the cases on the local free ads site, but it's really more trouble than it's worth. Maybe I can find a charity to take them.

You could list them in the yardsale with proceeds going to café good causes :)

Jx

I've replaced both tenor and alto cases from Ebay. Yamaha cases seem to sell for way more than the shipping cost. Listing them plus shipping will avoid any confusion. Nothing quite like walking in with a yani case, and knocking them dead with a G4M ;)

My teacher also had an accident with her alto falling off a proper case she thought was closed...

This is something that's ingrained into every person who works on a film set - always, absolutely always, close cases with their latches/zips and always close every latch/zip. Never, ever leave a case unlocked or locked with just one latch. If someone comes along and moves one of your cases that then falls open and smashes a £75,000 lens, it's your fault, not the person who moved the case, because you left it open. If you forget to lock a case, which results in kit being damaged when you pick up the case then you'd be lucky to still be on the crew the next day. I bet the same's true for every person who works on pro music tours and theatrical shows, too.

I see this all the time with musicians. It's not a hard habit to get into (just like not putting drinks on amps) and yet it's so rarely done. To be honest I think it's unprofessional, as is putting drinks on amp/speakers etc. It's a stupid mistake, that's stupidly easy to avoid, that could easily cause the recording session, rehearsal or gig to be delayed or even cancelled because an important piece of kit has been damaged. Putting drinks on electrical gear is even worse, though, because not only can that also damage gear, it can kill, too.

(just like not putting drinks on amps) and yet it's so rarely done. To be honest I think it's unprofessional, as is putting drinks on amp/speakers etc.

You prompt me to relate an incident that is well past its statute of limitations.

We were playing in Vancouver. A date I remember vividly for reasons I am unable to detail here, but suffice it to say I wrote a tune we played for years called "Vancouver Closet", alluding to what happened just offstage in a rather roomy electrical cabinet. But I digress...
I arrived a little winded for the second set, and threw my jacket over my amp. Grabbing the guitar, the other guitarist suddenly got a look of horror and panic on his face. As the violinist began the riff that lead in to the tune, "What Comes Around Goes Around", the guitar leans over and said, "Idiot! There were four lines of coke on that amp!"

So yeah, don't put lines of coke on an amp, either.

Oh, and by the way, I never liked or did the stuff myself, it was the other guy. Seriously. Not my thing, I have many other vices.

Talking of finding friends, have you checked out Quartier Libre (30 rue des Vignes, Bordeaux)? It looks like a great place with a thriving jazz/funk and jam scene.

Back
Top Bottom