support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Some rock songs that is good to know

thomsax

Some songs that I often play when I meet other "musicians". Kind of rock standards. Popular songs among folks born in 50's or 60's. Most of the songs are often played in concert A.

- "San-Ho-Zay" (F.King/S.Thompson). An instrumental that also Jr Walker recorded. But it's Freddie Kings song!

- "Last Night" (D.Nix). A song that Mar Keys (Stax) made back in the early 60's. Also an instrumental beside the voice "last night". In concert G.

- "Messing The Kid" (M.London). A Junior Wells song from the early 60's. Often played in concert A or E.

- "You Never Can Tell" (C.Berry). Learn the horn lines note by note from Chuck Berry's recordning (1964). In the key of concert C.

- "No Particular Place To Go" (C.Berry). Often played in concert G (original?) or A.

-"Who'll Stop The Rain" (J. Fogerty). A CCR song.

- "Knock On Wood" (E.Floyd). In concert E.

- "Twist And Shout" (P.Medley/B.Russel). The Beatles!! In concert C or D. I think D is original?

- "Mustang Sally" (M.Rice). I prefer Memphis Slims version in concert A.

- "Brown Sugar" (M.Jagger/K.Richard). In concert C. A 16 bar saxsolo that Bobby Keys played on the recording.

- "Smoke On The Water" (Blackmore/Gillan/Glover/Lord/Paice). Deep Purples song from the 70's. Power chords!!! They recorded in concert Gm but often played in concert F#m. I just play the guitar riffs. But sometimes also a short solo!!

Good list. Can i add- stepping, in some cases, slighlty outside the straight rock genre-

Back in the Chicken Shack- Jimmy Smith
Tequila- The Champs
Inspector Clousseau Theme- Henry Mancini
Night Train & Harlem Nocturne- obviously
Boulevard of Broken Dreams- Sam Butera version

Brighton jams (when there were such a thing) also tended to feature

Cissy Strut- The Meters
Psychokiller- Talking Heads