support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Some expert advice on relacquers!

MMM

I had to share this: it is taken from a comment posted to an eBay seller of a Couesnon Monopole Alto on eBay at the moment:

Yes, your saxophone is rare - not just uncommon but extremely rare. More importantly I can see that it has been relacquered to improve the tone. Basically, a buffing wheel was used to polish up the saxophone (before the lacquer was painted on) in order to remove all the rough bits on the engraving and make it shine. That's why the engraving looksslightly blurred. Rubbing away the sharp bits of metal improves the sound of a saxophone by making it sound much smoother - just as you'd imagine. Anyone who collects vintage saxophone adores relacquered saxophones because it improves the tone so much. Of course you didn't mention the fact that it had been relacquered, so make that you do because it's a massive selling point when you're selling an extremely rare saxophone.

A: Thanks very much indeed!!!!!

I found the sax on ebay UK. Just in case it's not clear, the relacq comments aren't being made by the seller, but by a potential bidder. Not sure if he's trying to keep the price down, or just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sax isn't relacquered, but there's a reasonable amount of lacquer damage to the original lacquer.

Sax looks to be in good condition though. Worth a punt for someone.

I actually ran across this myself on my usual troll round ebay a while back and was tempted to reply saying what a crock of sh*t that was and which mate of his did he get to send it in, the guy must be an estate agent or something...john

I found the sax on ebay UK. Just in case it's not clear, the relacq comments aren't being made by the seller, but by a potential bidder. Not sure if he's trying to keep the price down, or just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Relaquered isn't mentioned in the description, but is mentioned on the item title.
Maybe he changed it after the advice....:shocked:

Shameless MK6 statement (someone had to!)

I too thought about the real intention of the bidder, putting relac in the title would certainly ward people off.

However I also agree that these are great saxes and at that price (relac or not!) it should be snapped up.
These Couesnon have that great French vintage sound...not dissimilar from a Mark6! There, I said it, happy now??!!! :w00t:

PS.: just to be clear, the MK6 statement above was just for my amusement... although it is not to say it could be true, anyway, time to dig a bigger hole!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom