Taming The Saxophone

Some elevator music....

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Excellent Guenne, really enjoyed that.
I've been working on some Spyro stuff myself recently.
Itsa very happy in a carib calypso carnival style.
5-Star stuff - lovely tone you have.
You look as though you're reading the whole thing ?
Jay mostly plays either Alto or Sop - is that a tenor number ?
I ask because I'm not familiar with that particular track.
And last but not least where dja get the backing track ?
Love it lets have some more . . . :)

Guenne

Hi saxofriends,

my room is a bit problematic for recording, it's low, and it has lots of wood, pushing low mids and making the sax sound like it's put in wadding.
In this recording, I have EQed the low mids, reducing about 5db at about 300 and 400 hz.
A guy in the german forum told me to try a 60ms delay to make the horn stand out a bit better.

What do you think? It's the same video, only audio is processed differently.

Cheers and thanks, Guenne

Caz

Hi saxofriends,

my room is a bit problematic for recording, it's low, and it has lots of wood, pushing low mids and making the sax sound like it's put in wadding.
In this recording, I have EQed the low mids, reducing about 5db at about 300 and 400 hz.
A guy in the german forum told me to try a 60ms delay to make the horn stand out a bit better.

What do you think? It's the same video, only audio is processed differently.

Cheers and thanks, Guenne
At first i thought there were a bit more of a compression sound to the first clip - but the more i try to compare the two clips the more i cant tell them apart. If i'd have to choose, i would choose the first clip as i thought i blended best with the backing track. But in honesty i cant really tell them apart. Your playing is really was a pleasant surprise :)

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Just a word of thanks to @Guenne for the booktip. For anyone interested it's in Sax Plus! Volume 5
However - I've been working on "The Chicken" on tenor for a few days now. (Same book) It's a cracker. A real finger buster.
Not recommended for the very very nervous.
It's attributed to Jaco Pastorius who I guess made it more popular but the original is by Pee Wee Ellis from the B-side of a James Brown hit. It's also on the Maceo Parker Mo' Roots Album.

nigeld

I think I need a different mouthpiece
Subscriber
Elevator music from the times we had to use stairs instead:

Cheers, Guenne
You are obviously accustomed to much classier elevators than I am.

Elevator music made me decide that the alto sax was not a nice instrument, but if you take over the elevator franchise I might have to change my mind.

Top Bottom