All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Some advice for growling.

crocodilian

Not a question but an answer to anyone looking for another method to a successful growl.

I am a beginner and had tried the growl a few times just out of curiosity and because, let's face it, it does sound very cool. The results I got were, well, not very good!

My new teacher has recommended that I first put the sax down and learn to whistle and hum at the same time then apply this method to the sax.

So, off I went and after a while of looking like a bit of a prat alternating between raspberry blowing and whistling I managed it and applied it to the sax...and it worked!

Like I say, I am a beginner and haven't applied it to a song yet but I can now do it (albeit in a rudimentary way) which is quite gratifying.

Hope this helps someone.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Top man, I use this technique a lot. You could also try rolling your "R"s that gives a similar effect and is probably slightly easier. For added filth, try doing the two together! Now thats dirty.

Sunray

Growlin wiv... loads of knashers ...

Croc's don't usually growl mate .... ;}

They snap ... [Bite, Chew, Nosh, Dismember, Disembowel] ...

But you must be the only Croc around here to Growl ... :welldone

Taz reckons you should roll your ar$$ ...

But hey mate ... I wouldn't advise that - even if you have got some mean Chompers .... :)))

Lots of new sax players when they growl they losen up their embouchure. That is not good because your sound looses the right pitch...When you exercise take a tuner in front of you and try the Growl. You won't believe what you see!!!!
But as said before...To become a master you have to practice!!!

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
Croc's don't usually growl mate .... ;}

They snap ... [Bite, Chew, Nosh, Dismember, Disembowel] ...

:)))

Slight error with your description of crocodile behaviour. They feed by locking their jaws onto the prey then twisting round until a lump comes off and swallow whole.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom