Supporting   special needs music

Solo concert by Michael Brecker - great tonal range and technique

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
Locality
Breda
I came across this solo concert that Michael Brecker gave back in 2001. Alone on stage, he plays with lot more subtlety and variation that I've heard from him before. The first tune, Delta City Blues is a great demo of how it's possible to get a wide tonal range with the same mpc. The little personal asides (while he gets his breath) between tunes are nice too. Even if you skip the rest, Harlem Nocturne (encore) is worth listening to too.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
Locality
Breda
Have you heard this version of Harlem Nocturne
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU-QiGDZJns

My favourite by far...

Jx
I agree and I love it! My sax lessons were with a classical saxophonist and we had a difficult period when I said I wanted to learn to play blues and jazz. So we compromised on a couple of jazz and blues pieces 'played correctly' from sheet music.This was one of them. It's great to hear it played so well! Your link also led me to Pete's youtube channel which I'm looking forward to exploring!

Thanks

Mike

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
The first tune, Delta City Blues is a great demo of how it's possible to get a wide tonal range with the same mpc.
It's amazing what he gets out of the horn, he plays a lot of overtones and false fingerings on Delta City Blues.
From the "Two Blocks from the Edge Album", - that and "Heavy Metal Bebop" must be about my fave Brecker Albums.
Listen to some James Carter as well if you haven't done already.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
Locality
Breda
It's amazing what he gets out of the horn, he plays a lot of overtones and false fingerings on Delta City Blues.
From the "Two Blocks from the Edge Album", - that and "Heavy Metal Bebop" must be about my fave Brecker Albums.
Listen to some James Carter as well if you haven't done already.
Thanks for the tip about James Carter. I'd never heard of him but I had a quick listen to his solo on
I can't give you anything but love and I'm definitely going to listen to more!

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
James Carter Albums that I like: Jurassic Classic, Layin' in the Cut, JC on the Set, and more besides.
He's recorded albums of Standards and Ballads etc. as well which aint my bag but like Brecker he's an amazing technician and certainly transcends the horn when he plays.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
James Carter Albums that I like: Jurassic Classic, Layin' in the Cut, JC on the Set, and more besides.
He's recorded albums of Standards and Ballads etc. as well which aint my bag but like Brecker he's an amazing technician and certainly transcends the horn when he plays.
That isn't Jimmy Carter is it? I know Bill Clinton played............

Top Bottom