support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

So, you have a midi wind controller?

Gallen

Locality
Montreal, QC, Canada.
Tell me more about it!
Question for those who play a wind midi controller, could you tell me what kind of differences do you encounter in terms of playing your wind instrument versus the midi controller? How similar or different are they in terms of embouchure, breath control? What features do you like about your wind controller? What did you wish your wind controller had? Why did you pick up a midi wind controller, what is it, and how do you play/perform with it?

Thanks!

PS: No, I'm not buying one, butu am very curious what saxophonists (or really any woodwind/brass/keys/instrument player) thinks about them.

I have two, a Yamaha WX7 and a Casio MIDIhorn - a bit more "toylike" but very cool looking:

mus-casio.jpg

I don't play either of them.

I have it in case somebody asks me to play it. I just don't get motivated to play it. In the same way I have a piccolo.

I keep saying I'm going to sell it, but never seem to.

I have had a couple of WX7s down the ages- more a means to an end than an instrument in its own right (if you understand). I used it a lot in a couple of folks/rock outfits I played in to give big string swells and swirling atmospherics (duobled p with our fiddle player well to give a sort of string quartet effect as well) - never found any lead instrument sounds really satisfying but for 'fill in sounds' it worked pretty well. played briefly in a half live / half electronic dance outfit and it was perfect there.... but that wasn't really my 'thing' (it was great fun running it through a wah wah pedal to get some funkadelic style weird noises though)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a very dusty WX5. I used to drag it out when I played in a soul band - mainly for imitating a trumpet. Haven't used it for years.

Use an Akai as a way to input slightly better wind instruments into BiaB and GarageBand. Much more natural sounding than my poor keyboard skills and all with samples.

Pete, WX offer raised to £7-50 as I'm just a poor OAP. :verysad

I had a WX5 and many years ago bought a Casio 100 too.......the Casio broke and the WX5 was........rather boring after all, so I sold it.

Is there a way to send this thread back in time (late 80s)?

well, back then we would have been talking of the LYRICON
11086lyric1.jpg

lyr1.jpg

The Lyricon had a distinctive sound, a proper mouthpiece and i think it wasn't midi.

A midi controller is just a gadget to make you sound like a monophonic (usually) keyboard. Even Michael and Randy Brecker wasted their time on some EWI stuff.

Go rustic, play acoustic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course! I bet I could connect it up as a tambourine of sorts :3 Chinka-chinka ching!

@Milandro: I bet the red one has more of a funky sound, and the gold one a smooth, saxy silky tone :D

Back
Top Bottom