All profit supporting   special needs music

M/Pieces - Ligs So pretty

Ads

Locality
North West UK
They`ve got some nice 2 part wooden flutes for a tenner & Rovner clone ligs for £4 . I dread to think what the reeds are like (10 for £4) but mayne useful for practicing reed shaving techniques

Last edited by a moderator:

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
The Rovner clone ligs are OK. I bought one months ago and it is fine.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I`ve ordered some of the reeds £4 to the door for 10 Tenor 2.5s . I`m expecting them to be more like 3.5s and uneven but I only want them for reed shaving practice. I succeded on a couple of of 2.5 Glotins I had lying about (which were like Vandoren 4s in strength) , if they`re shavable then a massive saving is possible

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
I'm not sure if it's getting better or worse, 3 available/ 3 sold. It looks like you can still buy them. My only concern is about the inside, it looks a bit rough, like it would cut into your MP. Think I'm going to have a go at buying one anyway :)

Ah there you go, it now says 2 available and 4 sold.

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
I`ve ordered some of the reeds £4 to the door for 10 Tenor 2.5s . I`m expecting them to be more like 3.5s and uneven but I only want them for reed shaving practice. I succeded on a couple of of 2.5 Glotins I had lying about (which were like Vandoren 4s in strength) , if they`re shavable then a massive saving is possible

Let us know how you get on Ads, maybe in a new post eh?

DHM

Wrinkled retainer
Locality
West Midlands, UK
I bought a box of reeds and a Rovner clone; poor chap will wonder where the tidal wave of orders has come from.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Yep will do . if we can get chinese reeds for this kind of price and shave them ourselves . have a look at this vid on the subject . I`m fed up with discarding expensive reeds because they play badly, may as well buy a whole box of reeds which will play badly at a 5th of the price and fix the lot ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUceTpnywwc

Another thing to fix is a spine running up the side which can make them play badly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIVAuaoktv8

DHM

Wrinkled retainer
Locality
West Midlands, UK
I`m fed up with discarding expensive reeds because they play badly, may as well buy a whole box of reeds which will play badly at a 5th of the price and fix the lot

As time-consuming as this might turn out to be, it has to be worth a go; if only to learn that it's way harder than it looks.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Could take less than 5 minutes per reed even at the beginning , less when you get used to doing it . at 40p per reed, can`t argue.. with the Glotins, I ruined one and fixed two in seconds and that was thinning them down, the chinese may not need this, just levelling .

Heck there may even be some which are good out of the box, the Chinese did invent the things and that`s where bamboo comes from !

DHM

Wrinkled retainer
Locality
West Midlands, UK
Could take less than 5 minutes per reed even at the beginning

With any activity involving me + sharp blades I try to factor in the non-zero probability of a three hour wait in A&E. :)

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
With any activity involving me + sharp blades I try to factor in the non-zero probability of a three hour wait in A&E. :)

Wow, you won the postcode lottery! A month ago I waited nearly 5 hours in Brighton with a perforated appendix - AFTER being referred by my local A & E, where I'd been for 3 hours. Perhaps there were 10 people in front of me bleeding to death after a spot of reed adjustment gone wrong :)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I have some alto and tenor chinese reeds. They sounded best on a cheapo £25 chinese metal mouthpiece. Who'd a thought. They sent me a packet of ten free with a £2.99 reed cutter lol. They must grow on trees out there.

I got a mail letting me know My lig has been dispatched. Does that mean it's dead?

DHM

Wrinkled retainer
Locality
West Midlands, UK
I bought a box of reeds and a Rovner clone; poor chap will wonder where the tidal wave of orders has come from.

They arrived this morning; I impressed with the speed of service. The ligatures seem fine; I've yet to try the reeds.

[Is it Terribly Bad Etiquette to quote oneself here? Sorry if so.]

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom