holly  All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities holly
Tutorials

So, I was practising the other week...

FirstyB

.. when all of a sudden the E key-touch just fell off. All i had was superglue, so just superglued it back on. It worked for a while, but then it just came off again (this brings me to my first question, what sort of glue is good for this?)

Anyway, this got me thinking, is it possible to just replace all of the key touches with your own custom ones? I'd quite like to customise my sax so that its really mine , maybe with some flint or something. I'm quite a hands-on kinda guy, and being at Uni means i have bags of should-be-working-but-actually-end-up-doing-nothing time. Has anyone tried this? and successes?

Cheers

David

Mamos

Nice thought

I could get some hewn from Cornish granite or maybe tin.

I would be really cool if you could use some sorta thermo formable polymer that could mould to your finger tips for that 100% personal.

How about the thumb hook. mine is never really comfortable to be honest. I am always fiddling with the angle of it and ten minutes later it is uncomfortable again,

The possibilities are endless

And then there's mouthpieces........

mamos

griff136

I fing the best adhesive to use on the fingerbuttons/pearls is epoxy - you can get it from B & Q relatively cheap ( £4 ish) follow the instructions on mixing/using and you'll be fine.

regarding personalising your sax there are various different types of "fingerbutton" available real mother of pearl, plastic, black, white, abalone etc.

as long as you have the right tools for measuring each holder (the bit the pearl goes into) and acess to a lathe you can put anything you like in there.

I wouldnt use flint though - it's brittle and would be a nightmare to make round.

OP
F

FirstyB

Cheers for that. I don't have a lathe, but i could get access to a micrometer. I was thinking sanding it round, but now i'm realising that would take an age...

While we're on the subject, anyone know of any good sax books that focus on everything BUT the music? as in all the technical bits, how to fix minor problem etc. If there isn't one, then im sure all the past posts in this section would make quite a nice one!

Mamos

Cheers for that. I don't have a lathe, but i could get access to a micrometer. I was thinking sanding it round, but now i'm realising that would take an age...

While we're on the subject, anyone know of any good sax books that focus on everything BUT the music? as in all the technical bits, how to fix minor problem etc. If there isn't one, then im sure all the past posts in this section would make quite a nice one!
Funny I was only looking for something like this today

A sax players handbook type thing

This was the closest I found http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Companion-Saxophone-Companions-Music/dp/0521596661/ref=wl_itt_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I6SN2RJCPYN53&colid=25I53YSO9JSFO

mamos

OP
F

FirstyB

Oh yea, i found that as well, i think they're a famous series of books. I have the Cambridge music book, which im guessing is similar but just for music in general. It's mostly just history of music, with a nice theory chapter at the begining. I looked at the chapters on tha Cambridge sax book, seems like a really interesting book, but doesn't have much on the technical side of things.

I remember stumbling across an article on the main website which gave some brief tips on light fixing, and there was a link to a technical book there i think. Anyone got this? find it any good?

edit: Just bought the Cambridge book now, so ill see what useful stuff it has in it. Crazy coincedence, the author is one of the saxophone teachers here, i'm actually being tutored by him next year! Good to know im getting a good quality teacher!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom