All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Snowbound

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Snowing here so what else am I going to do.?
DeadAudiolink Removed

I tried a different position for the mic on this one. You wouldn't think it would make such a big difference.

Changed the pitch and the speed for the backing track. Getting quite adventurous with audacity now lol. Too much reverb and a bit lost at the end but I think I caught something.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
You're sounding good Colin.:thumb: Not sure about the backing it seems to have an odd vibrato to it. I think it is a result of pitch and tempo alteration..

Chris...

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Snowing here so what else am I going to do.?
DeadAudiolink Removed

I tried a different position for the mic on this one. You wouldn't think it would make such a big difference.

Changed the pitch and the speed for the backing track. Getting quite adventurous with audacity now lol. Too much reverb and a bit lost at the end but I think I caught something.

I would, mic placement is a HUGE factor i've found.I sit or stand just off left to the mic which is a good 3 feet away.Tested alot on placement.Your right,it does make alot of difference,some good,some not.Worth anyone trying things out.
Your the master of Vibrato Colin.You got your own vibrato vibe there for sure.Makes you you.Nice job again.This sounded a better overall recording mix.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I've got the mic sticking straight up, attached to but pointing away from the bell. It seems to catch more of the sound coming from the tone holes. I'm getting more sound with less volume if you follow me.

Experimenting with the tempo helped as well. I can play a lot of tunes in various tempos but some, like this one, seem to have a "right" speed for me.

I was going to do it with the alto and make it cry with lots of pitch bending but the more I moved the pitch the worse the distortion got.

It's raining now with a forecast of fine tomorrow. I'll be able to give it to my public tomorrow lol

Mike

Nice phrasing and rhythmic feeling. It definitely places the listener, me anyway, into a calming mood.

I'm curious how you adopted the quick vibrato. That was from song of yesteryear. In today's climate
I see it as very personal and unique. Funny how that happens..... once ago, it was mainstay and today they are far and few between.

I find it interesting because in today's climate the vibrato is nothing like that, yet you adopted it nevertheless. Influence is everywhere with the vibrato which is common in today's musical environment. You weren't influenced at all and I find that extremely interesting. In a good way, naturally.....

daveysaxboy

I've got the mic sticking straight up, attached to but pointing away from the bell. It seems to catch more of the sound coming from the tone holes. I'm getting more sound with less volume if you follow me.

Experimenting with the tempo helped as well. I can play a lot of tunes in various tempos but some, like this one, seem to have a "right" speed for me.

I was going to do it with the alto and make it cry with lots of pitch bending but the more I moved the pitch the worse the distortion got.

It's raining now with a forecast of fine tomorrow. I'll be able to give it to my public tomorrow lol

You could just transpose and play in the alto key on ya sax >:)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I go my own way. Self taught musicaly apart from school.

I'm a soloist. Literally. I play alone most of the time. Busking. I like to play songs and sing the words through the instrument. My preference is for popular dance music and particularly the songs of the 40's and earlier although occasionaly some modern stuff will touch me. I think my biggest musical influence would be the films of Fred Astaire.

My saxophone heroes are Lester Young, Sydney Bechet, Adrian Rollini, Paul Desmond, Jay Beckenstein, and lately Johnny Hodges
Coltrane and Parker go right over my head except when they get lyrical and play a tune.

I try to play in the style of a great singer and draw my phrasing from Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald etc

I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about the instrument or musical theory, just what I've picked that was of use along the way.

If I can hear it I can play it but what I'm hearing may not be what's being played.

I am what you might call.........A rebel without applause

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
You could just transpose and play in the alto key on ya sax >:)

It was written in Eb but the backing track was in A of all the keys they could have picked. The song fits nicely on the sax with C fingerings and gives you room to move from upper to lower register to repeat phrases. That's my excuse and You wont budge me lol
nene.gif

daveysaxboy

It was written in Eb but the backing track was in A of all the keys they could have picked. The song fits nicely on the sax with C fingerings and gives you room to move from upper to lower register to repeat phrases. That's my excuse and You wont budge me lol
nene.gif

WOW and thats big old excuse :))):))):))):))):))):))):))) hey dude as you said you are a rebel.I think different is great.Do it your way evertime.Your a star.:welldone

ps, and rules are meant to be broken.Thats my big excuse.>:)

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom