support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Snarky Puppy

Halfers

Finger Flapper
I had the pleasure of seeing Snarky Puppy at Bournemouth O2 last night.

Despite a slightly inauspicious (IMHO) start, with a couple of tracks that didn't really to my mind make for much of an impactful entrance, the 10 piece band quickly kicked into gear and entered the stratosphere of highly funky, rhythmically complex pieces. Mind blowing musicianship all round. Bob Reynolds really can't do much wrong, in my view, however the standout was Shaun Martin on Keyboards, who used the Moog to amazing, piercing, funky effect..

For me, second only in extraordinary band tightness to an early nineties Fishbone gig that will live in my memory for all time (Snarky kind of nicked their logo too, for the immigrance Album cover). Anyone who's got tickets for the rest of the European gigs, should be in for a treat!

IMG_20191107_074420_117.jpg

I'm going to see them in Zurich later this month. :)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed last night!

Although I'm very much an amateur, I think I have at least some understanding about musicianship and what is good and what is outstanding, irrespective of my own enjoyment of the music being played. I'm pretty sure I saw and heard some truly outstanding stuff last night which made me think how the hell they could be so bloody good!!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed last night!

Although I'm very much an amateur, I think I have at least some understanding about musicianship and what is good and what is outstanding, irrespective of my own enjoyment of the music being played. I'm pretty sure I saw and heard some truly outstanding stuff last night which made me think how the hell they could be so bloody good!!
Did you ever get to see Brecker? Even though we know his recordings weren’t edited somehow there was always the chance that they were - or that’s what your subconscious had you believe. Live... it was somehow not believable, yet there it was. Saw him 3x. Each time I came away feeling like a complete novice.

Did you ever get to see Brecker? Even though we know his recordings weren’t edited somehow there was always the chance that they were - or that’s what your subconscious had you believe. Live... it was somehow not believable, yet there it was. Saw him 3x. Each time I came away feeling like a complete novice.

No. Brecker would have been so off my Radar at the time, even if I had seen him play with someone else, I wouldn't have known I'd seen him.

You inspired me to listen to a bit of Live Brecker and this is one of the few Live albums I can stream on Tidal..

Funnily enough, the feel of the music on this is very close in style to what Snarky Puppy are doing. Especially the first track 'Gossip'. The Synth work is immense (and the Sax work is passable too) :sax: :)

Guys! Have some sympathy! I decided I couldn’t afford to go when first heard they were coming- - now that I’ve thought Soddit, I cannot miss them, it’s all sold out in places I can reach:eek:

It might be quite normal in the music bizz these days, or not, but Snarky Puppy record all their live shows, mix them and have them available to buy on MP3 and FLAC downloads. Just bought the recording of Thursday's show. Few beers, headphones on!

Guys! Have some sympathy! I decided I couldn’t afford to go when first heard they were coming- - now that I’ve thought Soddit, I cannot miss them, it’s all sold out in places I can reach:eek:

I had spare tickets for Bournemouth as well, as two of the people I was going with couldn't make it for various reasons! Although I don't think it was sold out. Definitely catch them next time.

Come to think of it, they were advertising a weekend of gigs on Miami Beach in Mid February..give yourself a treat ;)

I had spare tickets for Bournemouth as well, as two of the people I was going with couldn't make it for various reasons! Although I don't think it was sold out. Definitely catch them next time.

Come to think of it, they were advertising a weekend of gigs on Miami Beach in Mid February..give yourself a treat ;)
Who in support?

Ace last night in Glasgow

Crowd loving it

Not Bob Reynolds, more flute solo action than sax

Agree Moog solo thrilling

Are you saying Bob wasn't there, or is the above a typo and he didn't play a lot of solo stuff? I get the impression they share things around and give the spotlight to different players on different nights.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom