support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones SML Paris Saxophones - Any good?

pdac

Hi!
Predictably, I am searching everywhere for information to be able to buy a saxophone in a more informed manner.
The J6 Jericho seems to be a consensual choice, however I passed in a local shop where they told me about a SML Paris saxophone which costs 400€.
Searching quickly in the forum, I realized there was a time when "SML Paris" stopped making saxophones.
Searching further, but on the web, I came across various models of this brand - the A420-II being the cheapest.
I believe this should be the model that the store told me about.
Would it be a good choice, compared to the Jericho J6?
Many thanks for any help / information given!
Bye

SML= very good. IMO Rev D altos and tenors are the best saxes from SML. Even the late SML are good. I think they made saxes until early 80's. Milandro knows a lot about SML.

There was a horn labelled "SML Paris" on E-Bay recently with £100 no bidders but it didn`t look like any SML I`ve seen in quality or engraving - I maybe totally wrong here but it looked like a cheap horn which had SML added by an owner

There was a horn labelled "SML Paris" on E-Bay recently with £100 no bidders but it didn`t look like any SML I`ve seen in quality or engraving - I maybe totally wrong here but it looked like a cheap horn which had SML added by an owner

Yes, there are some Asia made "SML's" but even B&S and Dörfler & Jörka made saxes stamped with SML. Maybe they are good saxes, but I think the Rev D from the 50's is the right thing.

Do they stamped the new SML's with "Paris"? I don't think the Döfler & Jörka or the B&S SML's were stamped with "Paris". I think "SML", "B&S", Yanagisawa ... were in the a business group called "JA" or "TA" ?

It`s a shame that like the American horns, the name has been tarnished by outsourced cheapos and like , probably all of the USA brands , you have to really do your homework before buying one - though thankfully without the hassle of buying a decent Conn shooting stars or Buescher ...

from what I`ve seen, the SMLs which aren`t, really obviously aren't in the same way that a Jollysun crappola isn`t an SBA and an Indian SSO isn`t an Adolphe

had a silver rev D tenor back in the 80's i sold to a student. should have kept it. they are excellent in all respects. wouldnt need any other horn. good as any thing. have it overhauled and it sounds like a great price. hey Pdac is it an alto or tenor?

unfortunately, when companies go out of business, one of the assets that gets sold off is the business name and whoever ends up owning that name is free to use it for their own purposes.
The A420ii - http://www.sonovente.com/sml-paris-a420-ii-saxophone-alto-p25866.html and these other modern, asian made "SML" branded saxes have nothing in common with the french made instruments.
There are also asian made "Grassi" saxes - http://www.strumentimusicali.net/product_info.php/cPath/133_134/products_id/28050/grassi-as20sk.html
and I saw a "Kohlert" on ebay recently that looked like a generic asian Yamaha clone..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohlert-alt...442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c454dea4a

Yes, it's sad when old brands show up again in new shape (worse). Some brands names are protected but I think it's free to name a sax with any name you want. "The Martin .....", " King Super 20" , "Selmer MkVI" .... are brands that are protected.

Sounds as if it's new and of questionable quality.

Hi,
I think it's better for me to buy the Jericho J6!
Would you buy the mark I or the mark II?
Does anyone know if I'm eligible to get the 10% discount or get the pro setup, being me such a new member?
Would you also recommend that I buy a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece with Rico 3 reed?
Sorry for so many questions and many thanks to you all!
Regards

Hi,
Does anyone know if I'm eligible to get the 10% discount or get the pro setup, being me such a new member?
Regards
Check this on ebay.com for a buy it now auction. these horns are all any one ever needs. intonation and ergonomics + sound all excellent
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Bue...348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3d53793c

Hi,
Regards
Check with them on discount and version differences.

I'd ask for the pro setup.

Mouthpiece - good starter, but you're going to get a pile of other recommendations to sift through. The reed will probably be too hard at first. Buy a couple of 2s. As you gain control and strength move up a little at your pace.

Get a copy of Larry Teal's book, the pink one. Do the embouchure exercises.

But above all, get a teacher!

Might be a problem. Buyer isn't, I think, in the US.

Get it shipped to RE SHIP.com then they send it on to the buyer.

Get your RE SHIP ADDRESS after signing up for free with RE SHIP.com and then put the RE SHIP ADDRESS in your Ebay shipping addresses

(have it there as an alternative shipping destination).

They ship with good couriers that you can choose from. I have experienced less damage also with RE SHIP.

Had many horns shipped there first and then to me.

One way of getting something you really want off ebay if the seller will not ship to your country location! ;->

Back
Top Bottom