All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

'Smart' phones

Moz

I have sold my Blackberry phone and have got a Samsung Galaxy smartphone and am starting to regret it. Every app requires me to sign in, give my date of birth (yeah, that's going to happen), give permission for every app to access my SD card, my text messages, my bloody medical records, the size of my private parts and when I last had a dump. This is not progress, this is invasion of privacy, this is 1984 but with less personal contact. All I wanted was a fricking countdown timer that my old phone had as a given but now, oh no, you need a fu**in' APP! What's a f**king APP, it's 'application' you software designer morons. 'APP' is a noise made by a small dog as in: app, app app, app, grrrr, app, app "leave the postman alone you little sod", app, app, app, app, grrrr, yelp!

I am bombarded not by ads but by the invitation to accept ads with the undercurrent of threat that if I don't accept the ads my soul will be eternally damned and worse, I shall be a facebook pariah, no one will love me as I have become a disciple of the Anti-Google (android) Movement...yes, the AGM, a secret sect of people devoted to the overthrow of insidious web search engines and world mappers [membership is free, we meet once a year].

Well, I have now downloaded two different countdown timers and each one is, how shall I say, crap; but then perhaps it's my phone. I set the timer, it counts down oh-so-gently...20 mins, 19 mins........3 seconds, 2 seconds, 1 second ... .....BRIINNNNGFGGGGGGGG!, fu**ing BBBRRIINNNNNNNNNNNG!, BBBBBBBRRRRIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGG! The noise is excruciating, I jump out of my skin, leaping to answer the phone...except it's not the phone. I fell asleep with the timer running and now it's finished and it wants me awake, Awake, AWAAAAAAAAKE, GET UP YOU LAZY BASTARD! I'M PRETENDING TO BE A PHONE BUT IT'S YOUR *UCKING COUNTDOWN TIMER CALLING!!!!!!!!

And then it shakes, SHAKES, vibrating so hard it nearly falls off the table onto the cold hard floor -- however there is no room as I have already fallen off my chair onto the floor whilst grasping wildly for the button that will save me from the still on-going BBBBBBBRRRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

My relaxing doze is destroyed by the noise of modern technology and I am bereft, robbed of the gentle ding, ding, ding of my previous countdown timer and of my techno-phone innocence. I have joined the world of smartphones and apps and dark magic and I am not an 'appy bunny, perhaps it is time to revert to whittling sticks and talking about farming and collie dogs.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
:))):))):)))

Hope you feel better for getting that off your chest, certainly made me smile.

We have a border collie if you want to talk farm dogs;}

Seriously, you have just persuaded me to stay away from smart phones. I must be one of the few people with a mobile that only gets used for calls and texts.

Jx

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Calm down.

Bought my wife an android for her birthday last year. Same story. No wonder so many people buy iPhones. What worries me is why so many people just accept it.My crummy 2yr old N is going to have to last a few more years yet.

jonf

Two suggestions.

1 Buy a dumb phone. I've got three LG GS101 phones, for the kids, mother in law, etc. The most basic phone you can get. Epic battery life, good to use as a phone, nothing else. Four quid.

2 Buy a Sony Xperia. Simple, functional discrete smart phone, pretty decent battery life. No nonsense, mine's on contract with unlimited texts, loads of data and calls, £7:50 a month (OK, that was a special offer, but you get the idea). A quarter of the cost of an iPhone, which will need to be on charge every night.

Colin the Bear

A simple style phone and a 7" pocket computer splits thing nicely. I got fed up of missing calls and wading through pages of unwanted clutter to see whose call I'd missed.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I bought a mobile phone years ago that is only a phone, £10 including £5 of calls for use when needed.
Yesterday I made the required call every 180 days to keep it valid.
Never sent a text.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
:))):))):)))
I must be one of the few people with a mobile that only gets used for calls and texts.

Jx
No. I also have a phone for calls and texts. I have an iPad, which I am beginning to use more musician friendly Apps on.
My husband and children all have smart phones of one type or another - one Balckberry, 2 Samsung Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5, but I'd rather talk to people than text / message them.
I've had to introduce a ban on the phones coming to the dinner table. Whilst they weren't actually being used and we were actually talking to each other over dinner, the buzzing and pinging over dinner was getting somewhat annoying. :))) :w00t:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
but I'd rather talk to people than text / message them.
Totally agree, they have a place for a quick I'm on my way or something but when it comes to conversation my friends know now more than half a dozen words needed and I will call them.:)

Jx

Colin the Bear

Some people I don't want to talk to. A text transmits the information without eating up your day and minutes.

dooce

Must say I am a bit mystified by that. I have a Galaxy and I have never had to sign in to an app, or give great tranches of personal information to use one; I just download from Google Playstore and install. Am I missing something?

Mine has its' frustrations, like randomly shutting down once a day on average, requiring removal of the battery to reset it, but with its tuner, metronome, sequencer and gawd knows what else, I still find it a useful bit of kit. Now if only they could crack making it a usable phone as well, it would be a great product........

trimmy

One day i will...
I have never had to sign in to an app, or give great tranches of personal information to use one; I just download from Google Playstore and install. Am I missing something?
You don't have to sign in to use an app (at least not ones i use)
You agree when buying the app (free or paid) to their terms which mostly include tranching into your SD card, memory and even calls !! A few times i have not bought an app due to the terms, very much big brother watching

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
*ahem*
As a software designer....

.... I've always designed 'applications' ... "apps" are something invented by sparkly shining marketing types....

If you are a customer of my employer, something I designed will be appearing on your door mat soon...

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
*ahem*
As a software designer....

.... I've always designed 'applications' ... "apps" are something invented by sparkly shining marketing types....

If you are a customer of my employer, something I designed will be appearing on your door mat soon...
In early seventies used the term 'apps' to refer to common modules that could be embedded in programs usually dealing with operator communications.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
In early seventies used the term 'apps' to refer to common modules that could be embedded in programs usually dealing with operator communications.
I think in the 80s we called things like that common service routines. And, usually because the proprietary CSRs had easy-to-remember (not) names that started with something meaningful like SZZ... they tended to be referred to a z-modules (e.g. - "got a copy of z01?").
Exciting eh? Oh the long winter nights.... crawled by.

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
This wouldn't make for an entertaining rant, like Moz's, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but on my Android smartphone I can use any sound file, like a song, for ringtones, alarms, timers and so on. Android phones are very customisable once you get used to their ways.

Xperia, by the way, is the name Sony (formerly Sony Ericsson) give to all their Android phones. I have several, mostly defunct as phones and most given to me by Sony Ericsson :)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Since it is time for me to buy for a smartphone, any recommendation? I had very bad experience with 24 moths contracts and would love to spend very little money. Something like the "Experia Tramp" or "Samsung Creditcruch". Any thoughts? 2nd hand?

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom