support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Smart Music

Calling Jbtsax, or any other smart music guru's out there. Is there a way to turn off the green cursor? I find it distracting at times. I appreciate why it's there, but sometimes I'd rather just see how I can score without it having to see it while it records.

Calling Jbtsax, or any other smart music guru's out there. Is there a way to turn off the green cursor? I find it distracting at times. I appreciate why it's there, but sometimes I'd rather just see how I can score without it having to see it while it records.
I don't think you can. You might contact them and ask if that is possible.

I used Smartmusic a few years ago and found it a bit difficult to navigate and I'm currently working towards ABRSM 5, I can do the set pieces and scales etc. but my rythym and sight-reading are to say the least abysmal.

So decided to give it another go, many thanks @jbtsax for reminding me of this excellent resource and for taking the trouble to place those videos, it certainly seems a lot slicker and user friendly since I last used it

I can tell from the discussion (and lack thereof) that there are lots of folks who are unfamiliar with what Smart Music can do. Putting on my "teacher's cap" I have recorded the computer screen onto videos to show some of the features of smart music. I did not want to put them on YouTube so I uploaded them to Box. There are links below to the different songs and features. Click to download the file of any that interest you and it will play in your windows media player.

Cherry Point very easy jazz ensemble
Take the A Train easy jazz ensemble
Round Midnight medium easy jazz ensemble
Shiny Stockings medium jazz ensemble
Count Bubba's Revenge medium advanced jazz ensemble

An Australian Sea Ballad very easy concert band
All Through the Night easy concert band
All Aboard (This Train) medium easy concert band
Black Horse Troop medium concert band
English Folk Song Suite March medium advanced concert band

Smart Music Jazz Improvisation
Somewhere Over the Rainbow Solo Accompaniment
@jbtsax , Thank you for posting these, they have helped me understand how to get best use out of Smart Music.. I have not had chance to give it another go, but I will. I think that maybe when I tried it about 6 months ago my playing and reading was simply not good enough to make use of it.

@jbtsax , Thank you for posting these, they have helped me understand how to get best use out of Smart Music.. I have not had chance to give it another go, but I will. I think that maybe when I tried it about 6 months ago my playing and reading was simply not good enough to make use of it.

Let us know how you get on, I'm deliberating getting it :)

Jx

@jimmylh and @jbtsax I have found a way to get rid of the green cursor. In the window that shows the music and the Start/Take button go to the menu at the top left and choose view, remove the check/tick mark from beside where it says cursor. The cursor does not disappear immediately but when you press Start/Take hey presto it vanishes.
There are other settings on this menu that are useful.

@jimmylh and @jbtsax I have found a way to get rid of the green cursor. In the window that shows the music and the Start/Take button go to the menu at the top left and choose view, remove the check/tick mark from beside where it says cursor. The cursor does not disappear immediately but when you press Start/Take hey presto it vanishes.

Great find Rob. I looked and looked and never saw that menu. It was hidden from view all this time until I put the mouse pointer at the top of the page. Then it drops down where I can see it. Doh! I feel like a dummy. lol. I'm using it on a MacBook instead of my PC.

As I am not familiar with smartmusic and thinking of downloading the app, may I ask if one can request any type of sax and clarinet play alongs to learn from?

As I am not familiar with smartmusic and thinking of downloading the app, may I ask if one can request any type of sax and clarinet play alongs to learn from?

Most of what I see are generic and public domain type songs. If you want Real Book songs like famous jazz standards or pop songs you hear on the radio, you won't find them. It's stuff like band books, classical stuff, sight reading exercises. Charts for stuff like a school band would play.

@Rob Pealing Aren't you clever. :) I kept looking for that option before the song was opened and loaded. Thanks for that tip. However, when sight reading music out of my comfort zone, the cursor is a godsend to keep me from losing my place when missing notes and rhythms right and left.

You can't imagine all of the songs, solos, method books, etc. to choose from. Some of the improvisation play alongs require you to purchase the book for the melody part since they just give the changes. I'm sure you will find lots of things you like and can use at your playing level. If you get it and need specific suggestions, I will be glad to help (or refer you to Rob Pealing who is quickly become more of an expert than I am). :)

Most of what I see are generic and public domain type songs. If you want Real Book songs like famous jazz standards or pop songs you hear on the radio, you won't find them. It's stuff like band books, classical stuff, sight reading exercises. Charts for stuff like a school band would play.
Oh. Ok sorry, just re read yor post. Sight reading could be an advantage.

Granted you might not find the current "pop" tunes heard on the radio, but you might want to take another look at the solos and jazz improvisation selections. It is not all "classical" and "school band" music. Here are just a few I turned up in a few minutes of searching:

In the Solos Section
  1. Batman Themes
  2. Popular Movie Themes
  3. Classic Rock Selections
  4. Songs from Harry Potter
  5. Songs from the Hobbit
  6. Songs from Lord of the Rings
  7. Tunes from My Fair Lady
  8. Selected Jazz Standards
  9. Selections from Star Wars
  10. Selections from the Wizard of Oz
In the Jazz Improv Section
  1. Wynton Marsalis Volume III - Standards (great!)
  2. Strayhorn and More - (great!)
These are just the ones that provide the music on the screen. There are lots more you can play along with the backing tracks if you buy the music book(s).

Granted you might not find the current "pop" tunes heard on the radio, but you might want to take another look at the solos and jazz improvisation selections. It is not all "classical" and "school band" music. Here are just a few I turned up in a few minutes of searching:

In the Solos Section
  1. Batman Themes
  2. Popular Movie Themes
  3. Classic Rock Selections
  4. Songs from Harry Potter
  5. Songs from the Hobbit
  6. Songs from Lord of the Rings
  7. Tunes from My Fair Lady
  8. Selected Jazz Standards
  9. Selections from Star Wars
  10. Selections from the Wizard of Oz
In the Jazz Improv Section
  1. Wynton Marsalis Volume III - Standards (great!)
  2. Strayhorn and More - (great!)
These are just the ones that provide the music on the screen. There are lots more you can play along with the backing tracks if you buy the music book(s).
Thankyou Jbt. Unfortunately I'm not in the impro league yet. Give me 10 years.