All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Smart Music

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I sounds interesting but I was put off by this statement on their web page: *3rd party microphones (including built-in computer microphones) are not supported in SmartMusic.

The idea I would have to buy their special mic kind of rubs me the wrong way, or am I wrong on this?

That put me off too when I looked a while ago but see here :)

Jx

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
I have tried it. I cannot get on with it at all. I find the way the music jumps about on the screen of my laptop the worst thing, I have enough difficulty reading music and when I get to the last few bars on the last line at the bottom of the screen and the line then shift to the top of the screen I cannot cope.
It needs a reliable internet connection, I have a slow unreliable one. I dislike having to log in to use music that you have already downloaded.
I have used a cheap microphone with it.
I have not looked at it for months, Maybe I should try it again when visiting my daughter who has an adequate internet service.

ellinas

Rob for me the problem you have is the same as if you sit on a piano and play a long piece and someone turns the page. You have very little time to process the last passage and the first of the new page.
It's a good habit to slowly look a little bit further when you sight read , so you know what's coming.
But this skill comes with a lot of practice as a way to survive complex pieces. There's no shortcut to sight reading. The more you do it, the better you become.

SaxDon

Café Supporter
Used it for a year. Works very well for me. Loads of stuff to keep it you busy for a long while regardless of ability. Jazz and classical catered for; some incredible play alongs

jimmylh

I still use it. I don't use any mic other than the internal one on my laptop - it works!

Ok, so I assume when they say third party mics are not supported, it just means they can't guaranty all mics will work with their product. That way they keep it simple and don't have to provide tech support for anything other than the mic they sell. Plus they might earn some extra cash by selling mics. I'm still not sure I'm keen on signing up for a subscription. I'll have to give it some thought.

Last edited:

jbtsax

Café Supporter
I can tell from the discussion (and lack thereof) that there are lots of folks who are unfamiliar with what Smart Music can do. Putting on my "teacher's cap" I have recorded the computer screen onto videos to show some of the features of smart music. I did not want to put them on YouTube so I uploaded them to Box. There are links below to the different songs and features. Click to download the file of any that interest you and it will play in your windows media player.

Cherry Point very easy jazz ensemble
Take the A Train easy jazz ensemble
Round Midnight medium easy jazz ensemble
Shiny Stockings medium jazz ensemble
Count Bubba's Revenge medium advanced jazz ensemble

An Australian Sea Ballad very easy concert band
All Through the Night easy concert band
All Aboard (This Train) medium easy concert band
Black Horse Troop medium concert band
English Folk Song Suite March medium advanced concert band

Smart Music Jazz Improvisation
Somewhere Over the Rainbow Solo Accompaniment

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
I had a subscription for a coupe of years and used it almost daily. It was £24 p.a and fully worth it. I might just go and get another year as I've been reminded what a great resource it is.

edit- I used to love getting the green (not red) on the screen - big kid that I am :)

jimmylh

Ok, so after watching JB's videos I decided to sign up. After playing around with it, the microphone disclaimer they give you seems to be a non-issue. It liked the built in mic on my MacBook. It also liked the other two external mics I use with garage band with no problem.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Jbtsax, thanks a lot for the previews and the work put in. Guess you could take over marketing for SmartMusic no problem.
I have no financial interest in the program. I'm just an old retired music teacher who wishes he had something like Smart Music when he was learning to play the saxophone.

Staff online

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom