Tutorials

Smart Music

fishpond

Worth every penny, but resist buying the cd, you do not need it.
Just subscribe to the programe, £19.00/ year.
Been on it a few weeks now and love it.:)
If you know tenorsaxman (Chris), based down your way, he uses it.

Hi Mamos

I sold Bob on the idea when he read my blog. I think Smartmusic is a steal at £19 per annum considering the arsenal of aids and music it provides. All scales in all keys, tuner, adjustable tempos, lots of tunes to play and a whole host of other stuff. It is less than the price of many tutor books. I could go on - I am hooked. What I would like is an online tutor who uses Smartmusic. So if there are teachers out there - please look at Smartmusic. There are pupils waiting!

OP
Mamos

Mamos

Thanks Chris

Could you send me your blog address so I can check it out

Give me a shout if you are ever over Falmouth way

mamos

fishpond

Mamos
Providing you have a built in mic or one that plugs into your computer, you do not need their slightly overpriced one.
Just make sure that you go to the mic set up, which is under settings. Providing you get an input sound level registering on their meter, everything should be spot on.
Bob

OP
Mamos

Mamos

Thanks for all you help guys

I have been thinking of getting a microphone for a while now.

Now, remind me again. Do I need a dynamic or a condenser mic for recording the sax?

mamos

fishpond

"Do I need a dynamic or a condenser mic for recording the sax?"
Sorry, haven't got a clue!

My lap top has a built in mic.
I use a mic that was suppled with a computer about 10 years ago on a normal pc at home. (plugs in in the back of p.c)
For the pc at work, I use a mic I purchased for £3, approx 2 months ago.(plugs into the back of pc)

OP
Mamos

Mamos

Really enjoying using smartmusic.

It is really helping me with my scales

And the mp3 player is fantastic allowing me to playback and loop a small piece of a solo at a time. Slow it down and play it in any key

Very cool

mamos

Screamin Wind

Hi Guys,

I've been looking at the website & I can't find anything relating to saxophones, so I must be missing the point?

Can you in the program select for instance, the teaching lessons & music composition for a Tenor sax?

If I want to download & install the program on 2 computers do I have to buy the program twice?

Regards,
Mike

teebones

Subscriber
Smartmusic

Really enjoying using smartmusic.

It is really helping me with my scales

And the mp3 player is fantastic allowing me to playback and loop a small piece of a solo at a time. Slow it down and play it in any key

Very cool

mamos
Hi Mamos,
I was thinking of joining. :welldone
Is it realy as good as it seems ;}
for £20 per year it seems a steal :)))
one sax lesson cost more than that :w00t:

Tony (teebones)

OP
Mamos

Mamos

For the money it is very good. There are lots of exercises like scales, intervals, arpeggios, rhythm and ear training plus jazz scales.

What I like about the scales is you can loop them and each loop goes up or down by a specific interval so you can work through the circle of fifths for example

There are hundreds of pieces you can play along to all the time the computer is listening to your playing and letting you know if you have made any mistake

But as mentioned earlier the mp3 player is fantastic.

You can import an mp3 and play it back in any key without affecting the the tempo and visa versa.

you can loop a section over and over until you get it right, slow it down, speed it up and alter the key

Very useful bit of kit for under £20 a year.

I have found the rhythm exercises very useful and you can do them without your instrument by humming the rhythm into the mic

mamos

OP
Mamos

Mamos

Got my first all green lights this morning while practising scales.

The computer listens to you playing and the notes turn green if you get them right for pitch and timing.

It is quite strict and lets you know with a red note if you cock up.

One interesting thing is if you squeak it tells you what pitch you squeaked at.

Does this count as playing altissimo? :)

mamos

fishpond

"Does this count as playing altissimo?"
No, thats a serious mistake.:w00t:
20 of them and they take away your sax and give you a triangle!;}:D

One thing which I have just found out.
If you switch computers
ie home and work.
There is a switching limit (not sure what it is, 'cause I didn't know there was one, until I couldn't log in at home or work).
Had to send an email to be logged back in and waiting on a response to see if I need 2 subs or is it allowed (assuming they can track what instruments are being used and how).:(
Bob

neil

Worth every penny, but resist buying the cd, you do not need it.
Just subscribe to the programe, £19.00/ year.
Been on it a few weeks now and love it.:)
If you know tenorsaxman (Chris), based down your way, he uses it.
do you mean dont order the cd $30 just click the download button instead????

regards
neil

Bude Bill

Looked at Smartmusic

Hi Mamos, read your comments on SmartMusic so looked it up.

It seems like an ideal aid. However I am fairly new to this, only six months, and am wondering if it would be good for me?

Do I have to have a teacher and do assignments?

Can I just use it as a stand alone teacher. I already have a teacher but I only see her once a fortnight and it gets boring playing the same old pieces over and over, albeit I have a couple of other books which I use.

You and the others are very enthusiastic, and the price is very good for students.

Give me the heads up.

Bill

OP
Mamos

Mamos

This would be very good for you I think but I would get your teacher to check it out before you go ahead.

Your teacher can sign up for a teachers account and you can send him/her assignments to assess.
It is very good for practising scales and rhythm exercises

There is also interval training and ear training and it will really help with sight reading.

Another interesting thing for beginners is you can select any note on the stave and it shows you a fingering chart for what ever instrument you are playing

It has a built in tune and metronome and as i said before the mp3 player is worth the £19 in itself

mamos

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom