All profit supporting   special needs music

sluring

1954pip

Locality
linc's (between boston & spalding
hi i am just starting to sound a bit more like music the first time i started playing i got a teacher and when we got to the octave key i just could not get it ,after i got frustrated i put my sax back in it's case and it never saw the light of day until a week or two ago so with a new determination this time i am going to get to play !!!!!
any way to the question
when it show an arch above or below the book says a slur i know when you slur in speech it means you are joining your words together does this mean join the notes without tounging or have i misted something
if i am wrong could you explain in layman terms please
many thanks in advance
i can see you will get fed up of my questions
all the best
pip

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
You've got it. Run the notes together without tonguing.

The beauty of this place is that there's enough players on here to answer your questions in relays lol

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
The rule is tongue the first note of a slur, and slur (don't tongue) the rest.

Two notes slurred would be played "te____ah_____". Four notes slurred would be played "te____ah____ah____ah____".

I agree with Colin. When you ask a question here you will generally get responses that tell you what you need to know and a lot more. o_O

U CAN CALL ME AL

Café Supporter
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
A friend of mine described Brass band playing as:- rum-te-tum-te-tum
and jazz playing as:- la-de-da-de-da.

Think about it, explosive and laid back respsctively!

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
Yes, as mentioned above, slurring is tongue the first note, then (ideally) just change your fingers for the subsequent notes, however you might need to give the second, third etc notes a little bit of an extra blow (not tongueing, just a bit of extra air) to get it to sound nicely.

Just to confuse you, a "tie" joins 2 or more notes of the same pitch, and you only tongue the first note, then keep blowing and counting until you've reached the final note, as in the final 2 bars, here: Tie.png

A "slur" joins notes of different pitch (as in the final group of 3 notes in the first bar here), or across 3 or more notes of the same pitch (in which case you need to tongue the first note and give the 2nd, 3rd etc a little extra blow, as in the first 6 notes in each bar here)
Slur.png

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I agree with Colin. When you ask a question here you will generally get responses that tell you what you need to know and a lot more. o_O
and looking at the replies that followed, I'm left wondering if your comment was a prophesy or taken as an instruction. Whatever, members have done us proud as usual. Thanks!:clapping:

1954pip

Locality
linc's (between boston & spalding
wow what a great selection of answers
cheers pip

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom