PPT mouthpieces

Accessories D'Addario saxophone sling

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I got an email from D'Addario today. Players Circle and all that. They've launched a new sling. It looks pretty good so I followed the link.

£73.00:oops:

Pass. :fingerwag:

The metal clip looks like it will wear through the brass loop on the saxophone eventually. I far prefer the idea of a rubber/plastic covering

I got an email from D'Addario today. Players Circle and all that. They've launched a new sling. It looks pretty good so I followed the link.

£73.00:oops:

Pass. :fingerwag:
It would have to be a guaranteed 'giant killer' for that.

At first glance it appears to be a very ordinary strap at a far from ordinary price.
They are not even claiming that it has magic properties.

A metal sling hook? Oh well, I suppose it eventually means more work for me - so I shouldn't complain.
Sure, it's all nice and rounded off - but when steel meets brass, it's brass that wears first.

Here's a couple of 'victims'.

p logo yts62 sling rings.jpg

martinslingring smaller.jpg

Top one's a custom ring fitted to a Yamaha 62 tenor, lower one's on a Martin. That one was the most worn sling ring I've ever seen that hadn't actually worn right through. Couple more gigs would have done it.

Not sure if it's true or not but I heard that in the 40s/50s players used to file a notch inside the ring to help the sling (with rounded metal hook) stay in place. That and regular metal hook use, could explain why so many older instruments suffer from this.

The robust, industrial strength sling hook was the first thing I noticed, uh oh I thought. Then I saw the fairly standard, these days, looking neck pads, then I noticed the lack of a Y shaped adjuster, then I noticed the price. Then I shut down the page.

|The flat metal surfaces on steel clip typ sling hooks, as in Stephen's picture above, are the worst culprits. Larger, rounder metal doesn't cut into the brass so much. The D'Addario one loooks tike it's circular in section, and it also looks pretty much like it's some form of aluminium alloy, which is closer to the hardness of brass (although probably still a bit harder). Whatever, I still wouldn't pay £73 for it.

Back
Top Bottom