• FORUM MAINTENANCE
    The forum will be closed today at approx 13:34 GMT hopefully only for about 30 minutes

Sorry for any inconvenience and stress this may cause. Just remain calm and take slow breaths, it won't be for long
supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Sixth Sense - Possibly the most amazing thing I have ever seen

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
The movie? It's one of my favorites.

Clicked on your link - it is amazing...and a little scary too.

Last edited by a moderator:

dooce

Er....did I miss something? Very clever, but you walk about wearing a webcam, projector and earphones? To go shopping?

:confused:

Moz

Er....did I miss something? Very clever, but you walk about wearing a webcam, projector and earphones? To go shopping?

So it would seem, but I can see a time when implants could take the place of all the hardware. But are you willing to be permanently connected to the web via devices inside your head? Not for me.

Cheers

A Luddite

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
In many ways it reminds me of Asimov's vision of the mathematicians in the Foundation series.

I agree about shopping. But for me the excitement is getting away from fixed bulky devices like screens, laptops, iPads... Ebooks don't really work because the reader is more cumbersome than the paper they're trying to replace.

I'm not keen on the idea of implants, but a wearable device, like we wear watches nowadays..... And he hasn't really touched on voice yet, that would take it even further.

And the other side is the control by gesture/fingers.... Much more intuitive than leaning to type or pushing a mouse around.

Mamos

We are looking at this in it's infancy tbh. If you take to same reasoning and look at a computer at the very beginning you would be saying "So I need thousands of pound worth of equipment taking up my desk so I can write a letter."

I remember people saying "Why do we need a mobile phone?" There are still people saying this but very very few.

Sony were laughed at when they bought out the walkman. A tape machine that you couldn't record on.

The most exciting thing about the sixth sense technology is not the clunky bits of hardware hanging around your neck but the fact that it has been set free on the web in an open source way.

There could be thousands of new applications for this technology in the coming years. There is no telling what it will be used for.

As for shopping. Imagine if you went to look at a second hand saxophone. The computer scans the horn while you are looking it over. Notes the make and the serial number and automatically searches the web for information on this particular horn.

It shows you reviews of the horn, whether there are any issues with this make and model that you should be aware of. Finds sound clips of that model, Notes whether it has been sold online in the past and how much it sold for. Alerts you if it has been stolen. Records the whole encounter so you can review and re listen later.
When you decide to buy the horn the money is transferred from your account to the seller, the horn is instantly put on you insurance policy and then the computer checks griff's appointments and books it in for a service.:)

mamos

dooce

I can just imagine the sales floor of TopShop on a Saturday afternoon as a shopfull of women scan the latest apparel, get reviews, see all the alternative products and colours available in comparable styles, check for pictures of celebs wearing the items, network with all their mates about the advisability of buying....

No doubt the technology will also be able to answer that perennial question "does my bum look big in this". In a totally rational, unbiased and logical manner of course.

:)

Top Bottom