support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Sioma tenor saxophones

They are Rene Guenot / Pierret (made in france) prewar stencils
Daaaaamn, you guys......you were ON TOP of THIS one. :clapping:

I learned something entirely new !

@Chas ...is there one for sale near you or something ? Do you have a photo of it you can post (not asking for the ad, I'd just like to see an image of the horn).

A pre-war Pierret or Guenot is gonna be a respectable sax.....although even in playing shape it should have a relatively low market value, I'd imagine.

I dont know how to send you a picture all that I can tell you it's more a silver colour than a brass, sioma tenor sold by Alex burns shaftesbury ave London any body have any info thanks charlie

Did you read the SOTW thread I linked to in my post #2 above? Or post #3?

BTW, Jaye is Jaye not Jayne and is actually George.

Any reason you're looking at obscure brands, Danor and Melody Maker in your previous threads? Nothing wrong with it but unless you're a collector you could end up with an unplayable pile of rubbish which, when overhauled at some expense, may still be nasty to play and lose you loads of money.

Have you been playing, or collecting, long?

Last edited:
Charlie, if it's the one for sale in the Midlands for £150 I can tell it will need a total overhaul f

Pads are knackered, probably original from the 1920's. Also, there's a slight possibility it's high pitch.
Cost of overhaul I'd estimate at £350-400 so you've then spent £500+ on a collector's item which not many want to collect and it's likely not to be a patch on a mint Yamaha YTS-23 which may set you back £400-500.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so yeah I'd agree with @DavidUK , you are at LEAST looking at a cleaning and total repad (which is 70% of an overhaul right there).

So....and this harks back to the thread by the bloke who wants to buy a functioning alto at an unrealistically low price....you (@Chas) have a situation here not uncommon to prospective horn buyers:

Something which LOOKS, off the bat, to be an enticing purchase.

The PRICE is incredibly LOW, and it IS a Tenor (although do try to find out of it is high pitch - I would guess not as it has a Front F and a trill G#, pretty advanced keywork which usually coincides with a later production date than most high pitch saxes....)

BUT....it is a very obscure 'brand', and not of much interest unless you are a Vintage Sax Aficionado, and even in that instance, that doesn't help its market value, just it's vintage horn geek value. It isn't as if an old splitbell Pierret (even if engraved "Pierret") would be any sort of valuable sax.

So....back to the repad thing.....that is gonna cost you, what, at least 350 quid, absolute minimum ? A full-out overhaul probably 500 ?

You could never sell this horn, overhauled, for 600 quid. Plus, you'd be rolling the dice on its performance (which you could not ascertain until it was put into good playing shape).

I LOVE old horns, and if I came across this one, I'd be willing to risk $120 (95quid) on buying and overhauling (I do the work myself). But I think in this instance, assuming you are not an experienced tech...I'd suggest taking a pass on this one.

The way I see it....something like a Bundy 1, a Pierret made Olds Parisian, a Malerne or Santoni-type stencil, a Weltklang, or a Mexico-made Conn 16M project horn, which all sell for around the same asking price I think, would be far better purchases from an investment and usability standpoint than this horn would be, because those are familiar, recognizable, and fairly common.

Did you read the SOTW thread I linked to in my post #2 above? Or post #3?

BTW, Jaye is Jaye not Jayne and is actually George.

Any reason you're looking at obscure brands, Danor and Melody Maker in your previous threads? Nothing wrong with it but unless you're a collector you could end up with an unplayable pile of rubbish which, when overhauled at some expense, may still be nasty to play and lose you loads of money.

Have you been playing, or collecting, long?
Thank you so much Dave yea it is the saxophone and what you have told me it's going to cost a few quid I think I will save up and get a beter sax thank you Dave charlie

You are welcome....again it just gets into market value reality.

It is pretty much impossible to acquire a Tenor of decent repute (brand with a good track record) in respectable playing condition, for under around £300-350, I'd imagine.

Now, as I said in the other thread, it's not impossible....but it's unlikely.