All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Sioma alto sax

RichardB

Locality
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I've just starteyd posting on the SC website,
I'm looking for a SIOMA alto saxophone.
Does anyone out there know where I can find one for sale?
Thank you!
RichardB

Sioma alto saxophone

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Hi, whereabouts are you?
(I can't see this info on my smart phone).
Why a Sioma alto?

Vote:
Upvote 0

RichardB

Locality
United Kingdom
Thanks, David.

I'm in the UK. Whereabouts are you? Are you a musician? A sax player?

Thank you for your question. It touches on quite an interesting story, I think: a small corner of British musical history. In the 1930's and 1940's, Alex Burns Ltd. was a leading musical instrument shop in Shaftesbury Avenue, in the heart of London's West End, and on the edge of Soho. // Alex Burns was my father (1901-1947), a musican himself. // I've only very recently found out, quite by accident, that he sold his own brand of saxophones. They were made for him in Paris, and the brand was called SIOMA. This was named after Alex's brother, Seymour Burns, also a musician, who worked with my father. // Sioma = Seymour. // And now, I want to buy a Sioma alto for my grandson. As a keen and talented young musician, he has found his own way to the sax. Any ideas?

Best wishes

RichardB

Vote:
Upvote 0

Hankenstine

Locality
UK
My very frst tenor sax was an Alex Burns 'Sioma'. My high school design technology teacher actually leant/gave it to me about 20 years ago... I played it for maybe a year before upgrading to a Selmer. I still have it stowed away somewhere here in my practice room. A bit awkward to give it back now!?

I'll try and dig it out and take some pictures.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

RichardB

Locality
United Kingdom
Thank you all!

Here is a photo of Alex Burns with his sax, probably in the late thiries or early 1940s.

Attachments

• Alexander Burns with saxophone.JPG
    Alexander Burns with saxophone.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 17
Vote:
Upvote 0

RichardB

Locality
United Kingdom
And here's a photo of ALEX BURNS LTD in Shaftesbury Avenue, I think, in the late 1940's or early 1950's. - just after locking-up time. You can see that it's quite dark, and diagonal bars have been scrolled down across the windows. The woman facing the camera is my mother, Rosalind Burns. I don't know who the others are.

Attachments

• 1. 116-119 Shaftesbury Avenue - Alex Burns Ltd.jpg
    1. 116-119 Shaftesbury Avenue - Alex Burns Ltd.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 30
Vote:
Upvote 0

RichardB

Locality
United Kingdom
Many thanks - Stitch, Pete Thomas, DavidUK and Dartrmoor Hedgehog - for your advice.

Am still looking ...

Richard

Vote:
Upvote 0