All profit supporting  special needs music education

Single edged razor supplier UK

dreadnet

Locality
London
Hi,
Do any techs know what brands of sharp razors for cork cutting and where to purchase.
Thanks

greenstripe

Locality
UK
Would a Swann Morten scalpel not be more suitable. Link to handle on Amazon suitable blades will show as many styles available. Also available from craft shops etc.

Failing that a shavette is a type of razor that uses a half of a double edged blade: these guys are good. Shaving Shack

stitch

Locality
Nottingham, UK
I've always just snapped a double edged one in half. Usual warnings apply. Second nature after the first time.

Vetinari

Café Supporter
Locality
East Manchester
Plenty of choice at your favourite internet store. Search on single edge razor. Cost between £10 and £15 for pack of 100.

turf3

Locality
Earth
More effective is to use a "hobby knife" which we in US generally call Exacto after the main brand, the most common blade is a little triangular shape that allows you more freedom than a single edge razor blade.

Both these and single edge razor blades ought to be available in quantities from a few to many, in any hardware store. If you're actually in London as indicated, there's no way you can't find either within ten minutes of your home.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Called a Stanley knife over here.
I have several Victorinox pocket knives. The blades are made, I believe, from surgical steel. A quick run over with a honing stone produces a very sharp edge that lasts. Guaranteed for life too. I wouldn't be without mine.

dreadnet

Locality
London
First batch bought not very sharp, ok when chopping cork. Not good a shaping, cut ragged.
Probably check out expensive ones made for shaving

dreadnet

Locality
London
Called a Stanley knife over here.
I have several Victorinox pocket knives. The blades are made, I believe, from surgical steel. A quick run over with a honing stone produces a very sharp edge that lasts. Guaranteed for life too. I wouldn't be without mine.
I have a Swiss army knife too, just thought it would be easier dealing with shaving cork on a key foot with a single edged razor

turf3

Locality
Earth
I've never had a single edge razor blade be dull out of the box. Buy a different brand fi that's what you want to use.

Xacto knives are more useful for me, especially when working on the horn rather than with keys removed. The blades are more expensive (I expect Stohrer buys single edge blades in the box of 250). Key is to go ahead and put on a fresh blade as soon as it gets dull, rather than trying to soldier on with a dull one.

This is what I mean. This is not a "stanley knife" which we call a utility knife and is the tool of choice for things like asphalt shingles. This is an Xacto knife (also called art knife, hobby knife, etc.), available at any decent hardware store with a few blades for $15 or so, universally useful for dozens of uses. (They're made by other companies as well, all the blades interchange; buy a package of 10 spare blades at the same time)

download.jpg

THIS is a utility knife, way too big for saxophone work. However, anyone with any pretensions to home repair needs one of these as well. Buy an extra dozen or so blades at the same time. Three or four spare blades will store inside the knife so you don't have to stop and hunt up those extra blades when it gets dull.

download (1).jpg

Yansalis

Locality
USA
Worth noting that the edge geometry of single edge blades is different from hobby knives, and that someone like Stohrer uses a fresh one of those blades for certain tasks.

dreadnet

Locality
London
I've never had a single edge razor blade be dull out of the box. Buy a different brand.

Xacto knives are more useful for me, especially when working on the horn rather than with keys removed. The blades are more expensive (I expect Stohrer buys single edge blades in the box of 250). Key is to go ahead and put on a fresh blade as soon as it gets dull, rather than trying to soldier on with a dull one.

This is what I mean. This is not a "stanley knife" which we call a utility knife and is the tool of choice for things like asphalt shingles.

View attachment 19467

THIS is a utility knife, way too big for saxophone work.

View attachment 19468
Got both items but I feel more comfortable with a sharp single edged razor.
Thanks for all your options. Just thought that a UK tech would have options.
I think I got last ones at a cheap store Wilko.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Exacto/Hobby knives are smaller I think. Somewhat scalpel-like.
Indeed

Stanley is more of an all purpose tool. I remember Exacto from my hobby days and it's more precise and scalpel-like with a more acute angle - maybe 30 degrees vs 45 degrees of the standard Stanley.

But then if you want a 90 degree single edge razor then that's what you need.

Last edited:

dreadnet

Locality
London
Worth noting that the edge geometry of single edge blades is different from hobby knives, and that someone like Stohrer uses a fresh one of those blades for certain tasks.
I understand that you can only use them for cutting/shaping fresh from the pack.
I'll give it a try with a scalpel or my Swiss army knife. I'll take it slow, cheers

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
They are called X-Acto knives in the UK too.
But Stanley knives come in two sizes, and the smaller one takes blades about the same size as an X-Acto knife.

Yansalis

Locality
USA
I understand that you can only use them for cutting/shaping fresh from the pack.
I'll give it a try with a scalpel or my Swiss army knife. I'll take it slow, cheers

In the spirit of the culture of the forum I was being a bit oblique about the fact that the single edge blades are the tool of choice for a certain part of the industry. I think you should hold out for the right tool. Hopefully someone will get you a reliable source before long.

dreadnet

Locality
London
In the spirit of the culture of the forum I was being a bit oblique about the fact that the single edge blades are the tool of choice for a certain part of the industry. I think you should hold out for the right tool. Hopefully someone will get you a reliable source before long.

Just looking for something that will do the job and comfortable to use. I will try some other options for single edged razor blade.

Thanx

Top Bottom