support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Silver plated YTS-61???

thesaxman71

Account Closed
I am soon to be the owner of another Yamaha and this is Yamaha 61 tenor sax in silver plate from the 1970's, i have, of course, known and played 61's but never heard of or seen a 61 in silver plate before and til today never knew they even existed. When i get it i will need to do some work on it, repairs from non use and neglect as common with this kind of thing and some plating wear but i will get it in fully working shape.
Can anyone give me a bit more information on these tenors, to me it seems quite rare to find 1 of these?

I`ve not seen a silver 61 either, I`d love a silver 61 Alto to go with my 62 Tenor as I prefer the screamy lively sound of the 61/21 altos to the later horns . I couldn`t Jusify a 61 in Alto (Alto only played for my own leisure) and they definately didn`t make a silver 21 .. unless you count the 21 based nickel plated Pennsylvania Stencil

Hope you'll post some pics :)

and sound clips

Jx

I`ve not seen a silver 61 either, I`d love a silver 61 Alto to go with my 62 Tenor as I prefer the screamy lively sound of the 61/21 altos to the later horns . I couldn`t Jusify a 61 in Alto (Alto only played for my own leisure) and they definately didn`t make a silver 21 .. unless you count the 21 based nickel plated Pennsylvania Stencil
yeah me neither seen 1, it is just so curious and strange to me to see a silver YTS-61 that i ended up doing a deal on it to make it mine, GAS strikes again ;)

Here's one that was for sale in NZ recently - $4,500 is about GBP2,250...

http://www.drtoot.co.nz/drtoot-used-secondhand-musical-instruments-for-sale/drtoot-used-secondhand-sax-sales-repairs-services/tenor-sax-1494342940/pre-loved-yamaha-tenor-saxophone-yts61s

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a local guy with a silver 61 tenor. Seen a silver 61 alto also. They were made but like all other horns less than gold lac horns. I had 2 61 tenors and I love them. Darker than a 62 I find. If I had the dosh I'd buy it from you, nice back up horn.

Theres a local guy with a silver 61 tenor. Seen a silver 61 alto also. They were made but like all other horns less than gold lac horns. I had 2 61 tenors and I love them. Darker than a 62 I find. If I had the dosh I'd buy it from you, nice back up horn.
Amazing how players find saxes as this 1 seems brighter than my 62, a lot brighter, but i put that down to needing some work and also the "new toys" i added to my 62 to thicken up the sound.
you never know with me, once it is fixed up i might just keep it for the hell of it or move it on so watch this space but you will be 1st in line.

I found the 61 altos to be brighter and more lively than the 62s (same with the 21 vs 23) but of course this is by actual samples and moutlhpieces at the time , I can`t remember how the 61 tenor compares, it`s years since I came up against one. What I do remember is that it sounded great in its own right but lacked that massive thick deep bottom end the MkVII Had by more of a margin than the 62/G1 Combo I have now..
This is why I`ve not bothered to get a Pruple neck for the 62 Tenor but loved it on the MkIII Alto . the 21 fits fine and I`d love that sound with top pro keywork (basically a 61) and if I`m ever flush I`ll get one .

As for the price of the Aussie one - depends on whether (Or where) you want to sell it . there`s no way you`d get that over here, it`s hard to sell anything in the UK without almost giving it away (is Europe any better) and there are / have been plenty of Purple logo 62s on Preloved, fleabay and gumtree at not much over the grand to £1500 ish and not disappearing off there fast . it`d Take a crazy Yamaha collector with tons of cash to burn to pay a stupid price like that (but then anyone who`d pay £1000 for a mouthpiece ought to be crazy enough !! ;) ) .

Last edited:
crazy and guilty as charged, i will be back once i light the fire, i got a spare grubby ten quid note somewhere haha ;)

And silver is far better as we all know.....................................

Isn't the fact that you bought it as it is "quite rare" due to the fact that it is silver, hence it is rare? Therefore cosmetic? >:)>:)>:)

The YTS 61 are great saxes! I think the YTS 61 has a bigger sound compared to the 62. IMO the YTS 61 blows more in the same style as King Super 20 and Keilwerth made saxes. Bigger bore?

I have never seen any silverplated YTS 61. The price for a YTS 61 was 4700. 00 s e k + sales tax (august 1978). The YTS 21 was 3975.00 s e k + sales tax!!

Can anyone give me a bit more information on these tenors, to me it seems quite rare to find 1 of these?

Sad person that I am, I keep all the old saxophone and mouthpiece brochures that I have ever picked up. I will check whether the earliest Yamaha one (probably late 70s) includes the 61 and says anything about silver plate. I can scan it for you if it has.

Rhys

Sad person that I am, I keep all the old saxophone and mouthpiece brochures that I have ever picked up. I will check whether the earliest Yamaha one (probably late 70s) includes the 61 and says anything about silver plate. I can scan it for you if it has.

Rhys
not sad at all but very helpful, great!

Isn't the fact that you bought it as it is "quite rare" due to the fact that it is silver, hence it is rare? Therefore cosmetic? >:)>:)>:)
"rare" and "cosmetic" do not come in the same page in my book mister.

Playing Devil's advocate with you Ian. The silver thing constantly puzzles me.

Playing Devil's advocate with you Ian. The silver thing constantly puzzles me.
yes i get that, i think a lot of people just like the look of silver where as personally i ain't bothered as long as it plays fine and i was curious in general that it is a silver 61 cos i never heard of that..

Back
Top Bottom