support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones Shure 55SH

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
It came today. I got quite a good deal from All Deal. It seems all the usual retailers have it for £135. I got it from All deal £63 plus shipping. I was a little worried when it arrived with all the Chinese writing on the box. Uh oh! Copy/fake? Seems genuine. It has all its paperwork and guarantees.

I wanted an upgrade from the Thomann Elvis T-Bone GM55 for live work and possibly recording. The weight is impressive and it looks even more the part. Bare bones set up. A few stickers and a bag is all that came with it.

So I poked it into the mic socket on the laptop and gave it a whirl. First impressions are good. I think.

one day SH55.wav - Box

It seems you need large amounts of money to get a small improvement. There's an up grade capsule for this for $100. I wonder how many Yen ;)

It came today. I got quite a good deal from All Deal. It seems all the usual retailers have it for £135. I got it from All deal £63 plus shipping. I was a little worried when it arrived with all the Chinese writing on the box. Uh oh! Copy/fake? Seems genuine. It has all its paperwork and guarantees.

I wanted an upgrade from the Thomann Elvis T-Bone GM55 for live work and possibly recording. The weight is impressive and it looks even more the part. Bare bones set up. A few stickers and a bag is all that came with it.

So I poked it into the mic socket on the laptop and gave it a whirl. First impressions are good. I think.

one day SH55.wav - Box

WOW Colin! You have never sounded better. That style of song seems to suit you quite well. I'm picking up a bit of Lou Rawls in you sound and style. Keep 'em coming. I really enjoyed listening to this recording.

I do like the singing also. Would benefit from some ambience though. (Not necessarily an obvious reverb, just needs something to help it sit with the backing)

Next stop a residency in Las Vegas ;)
Thankyou Col - I also really enjoyed listening to that.
I had an original Shure SH55 to try out for a few weeks earlier this year.
Although it has, as far as I know the same capsule as the SM58 I found that on sax I could move around on it a lot more without any loss. Another plus is of course it looks so very, very Kool.
Downside for me was that it's big and heavy and a comparison with my existing mikes through my studio desk (Mackie) I couldn't detect any other benefits soundwise. And on flute it picked up far too much breath and keynoise.
But as you have demon - strated it really is a very good vocal mike.

I do have bother matching the recording to the track. It all seems fine till I export the audio and find the wav seems to have a different mix and balance.

This mic does seem to pick up every little pipple and popple. (Technical term :rolleyes:)

Maybe I should move away from the 1930/40's stuff I love doing and go a bit more modern.

I'm having bother with pops. This mic seems more sensitive than any other I've used. I've ordered a couple of different screens, but it will kill the look live. I improvised a pop filter with a kitchen sieve for paper moon. Seems to work.

DeadAudiolink Removed

I'll have to stick to songs with no "P" in the lyric

I'm having bother with pops. This mic seems more sensitive than any other I've used. I've ordered a couple of different screens, but it will kill the look live
That's an interesting point

You never see pop screens live

The condenser mics, I've been using for recording, have a foam cover. They work well. The Thomann gm55 Tbone, that I've been using live, has a pop filter built inside the bird cage. The Shure 55 looks the same and I assumed would work the same. What do they say? Never assume:rolleyes:.

I don't want to kill the vintage look with a foam sock or a screen for live work. It's not a problem for recording.

Maybe it'll have to come apart and be modified. Bang goes the guarantee. Even good gear has its problems:confused:

Maybe repositioning it will work. When I did mic training - for speech - we were taught to speak over the mic, not into it, to prevent pops. Same goes for singing.

I tried singing over the mic for this one. I'll just have to change my name to popeye

DeadAudiolink Removed

Had it in bits to check the internal pop guard. Uh oh! Fake alert. Bum! Price was too good to be true. What now?

Had it in bits to check the internal pop guard. Uh oh! Fake alert. Bum! Price was too good to be true. What now?

Ahh. I'd contact Shure and report where you bought the mic. They have an anti counterfeit page on their website
Shure Anti-Counterfeiting Initiative I doubt you'll get much from the seller if they know they are selling counterfeit goods, but might be worth contacting them first

And then perhaps bite the bullet and buy from an authorised dealer.

EDIT: If it makes the annoyance of buying bum gear a little easier, I'd say that listening to your playing and singing, you deserve the proper gear :)

Last edited: