support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Should I `Sling my Crook.?`

navarro

Hi Everyone, I am as you all know a newbie and I have always had a problem in the comfort zone re my alto. I have found that the most comfortable position to play for me is to have my crook not in a straight line but angled slightly to my left side.

I have had many comments from fellow band members about this. More so from the saxophone sextet I am playing in (Standing) than the band . (Sitting)

What I am really wondering is there a sling out there which will rectify this and help me keep the instrument straight.. Someone has suggested those shoulder strap types.

Is there a hard and fast rule about crook positions ?

Strap in use `Neotech` with broad elasticated neck padding. Best Regds. Orthopaedic N.

Navarro as long as your octave mechanism is functioning as it should then I don't think it matters. I normally play all my saxes, ATB , on my right hip and the crook on both tenor and alto are slightly turned to the left. You have to play how you feel comfortable otherwise it becomes a chore.

I agree with the comfort first idea. I like my crook lined up in the common position, but I tend to physically lean forward on certain notes. It's what's comfortable for me. I say as long as your sax is in good working order and it does not get in the way of playing notes, do what feels right.

I don't think it's anything to do with the strap, though I must say I don't like those elastic Neotech jobbies.

Everyone is right, provided the octave mech works and it's the most comfortable position then it's good.

But, thinking about it, if the neck is to the left, it will mean your right hand is further over your body, to the front or even over to the left.

If that is causing an unconscious issue for your arm muscles, then it's not good, but my gut feeling is it can't be so extreme it would matter.

While sitting, sax leans to the right side, and i always have to turn the crook leftwards, when i forget to do that, i end up my practice session with a stiff neck. So +1 for comfort.

And yes, i may say once more, that the sax holder has released the burden on the spine, from the sax, to the shoulders and stomach. +1 for the sax holder as well.

Yes. Was just thinking of Lester Young while reading this. There's a clip on youtube of him playing tenor without a sling with the sax sitting across his knees almost in a flute position.

The octave key mechanism is designed to give you a range of positions for the crook to left and right so you can get comfortable. If it plays and you're comfortable who cares what people say? It makes you memorable.

Playing it in a position that makes your neck hurt , just to conform, that's just not the way to go. It may cut short your playing career.

Quote CS Forrester to them.

I think it's Cap'n Hornblower who says, "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"

I play with the crook to the left, I originally found the most comfortable position by leaving it free, playing for five minutes then tightening it where it had settled itself.

Thanks all, Once more sound advice. It`s very reassuring to know that I am not out on a limb with some horrible habit I have picked up. Best Regards Given my Physio notice. N.