support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Should I play through a cold?

CornishMaid

Locality
Cornwall, UK
Hi all

As usual, tis the season to be jolly and catch every cold going!

I'm already feeling guilty about the lack of practise I've managed to get in during the festive period and have now caught a nasty cold. I really want to practise but not sure if it's wise (assuming I can actually play with a blocked nose!). I'm wondering if I'll plaster the inside of my sax in germs - is there a way of cleaning it out afterwards more thoroughly?

Thanks for any advice.

I wouldn't worry about germs in the sax unless you share it with someone else. By the time you've finished your cold you'll be immune to that particular virus anyway. If you feel up to it, go for it.

Thanks - that's a good point, I hadn't thought of being immune to the virus once I've had it. I used to play my clarinet full of germs but had a feeling it was reinfecting me - perhaps it was just bad luck! Am feeling a bit 'spinny' today so will see how I go - who knows, it might add something to my practice session!

I would just consider sterilising your reed and mouthpiece:)

Jx

Well, I managed to get in some practise today, despite my runny nose! Not at my best but better than nothing I suppose. Here's to Lemsip and vitamin C!

Be wary if you have blocked ears, though. Blowing your sax could be rather painful.

I think if you feel like doing it - do it.

The times I've played with a cold or flu I usually feel better for it, but I usually don't play for long. 30-45 mins tops I've gotten too tired or fuzzy-headed after that.
I wouldn't play if you have a very sore throat or coughing phlegm.
Sterilise your mpc and reeds every day or so until you're better is my advice.

I enthusiastically endorse the idea of washing and disinfecting your reed and mouthpiece. Viruses and bacteria thrive in a dark, warm, and moist environment like the inside of a woodwind mouthpiece. For years I observed band students who didn't heed my advice who came back to school following an illness and reinfected themselves by playing on the same mouthpiece and reed. A strong mouthwash with alcohol in it is a good way to disinfect a mouthpiece and reed after washing each with soap and water.

I strongly advise against practicing the Nose Flute with a cold for obvious reasons.

noseflute.jpg

I would not play. It's best to rest, you will either get better quicker and avoid getting worse.

I strongly advise against practicing the Nose Flute with a cold for obvious reasons.

noseflute.jpg

Stick the Vax on the other end you should be ok.

I'm suffering at the minute. First day out of the house since Christmas Day. A quick run for supplies. Needless to say the saxes have been untouched for almost a week and no sign of it clearing up.

Thanks All (sorry for late response, not been online for a few days). Managed to keep practising but maybe should have given it a rest while I was feeling dizzy! Back to fighting fit now though :) I made sure I washed my mouthpiece out in a bit of warm soapy water (fairy liquid) - hope that was OK. I like the idea of using mouthwash in future but wouldn't that destroy the reed?

Love the nose flute pic by the way, although i can do one better....

images

Hello,

the answer is probably: why not if you feel OK?

However, I noticed that symptoms are gettings worse one day after (blocked nose, sore throat).
Is it just me because I am a whimp?

What is your experience?

Is anybody with a medical background here who can explain the effect to me?

yes, play when you have a cold! even if you don't feel like it, it's always made my cold get better quicker. I think it's something to do with having to control your breathing etc and maybe in my case a bit of good old bacteria on the back of a reed that I have been using the last 8 months! I grow my own penicillin :/

I would guess the symptoms would have worsened anyway, as the feeling unwell was the precursor to the sore throat etc, rather than caused by playing. Just keep your mouthpiece clean and use a new reed or disinfect the one you're using. I'd keep playing unless it makes you feel more unwell whilst you're doing it or just after.

Having a cold what?

Beer! Or chilled sav. :)))

All this week high 20s low 30s °C - nothing like summer in New Zealand (well it's actually autumn / fall)...:thumb:

Don't worry about being crook just play the sax...if your symptoms are getting it's maybe the cold that's getting worse and not your sax playing that's compounding the illness (?):shocked:

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well today's the first day I can remember having too bad a cold to play - or even want to play. OK the last few days and even went to band practise on Tuesday, but today I've succumbed to streaming nose, sore throat and headache. One of my sons brought this back from Hanover last weekend; two weeks ago the other one brought 'flu back from Liepzig - what is it with Germany Kev? Alcoholic remedy called for ...and I'm not waiting for the sun to go over the yardarm today.
YC

It is a good idea to clean both your reeds and mouthpiece so that you don't reinfect yourself once you start to recover.

Still recovering, so I've gone two days without playing... That's a good point jbt. I always rinse the mouthpiece and reed off as soon as I can after playing anyway, but this time there is a case for the not-much-used mouthpiece antiseptic spray.

Whiel I agree about it being good for breathing, I think there's a case for being wary of putting pressure on already tender and infected sinusses during a cold.

It is a good idea to clean both your reeds and mouthpiece so that you don't reinfect yourself once you start to recover.

I think you will find that that is an impossibility because once you having recovered from one strain of flu virus you are immune to it and can never catch it again that is why you get fewer colds as you get older because you build up immunity to more and more strains and there only a certain number that you could catch so the odds of catching one get less and less, might be advisable not to let someone else blow your sax though until you thoroughly boiled it .......Dr Glad

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom