PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Should I de-laquer my old Yamaha 62?

cavilln

I have had a YAS62 for 30+ years and thanks to nice people on this forum I have 'dated' it as around 1980 and an original MK1 purple logo. So, not exactly vintage but a nice old hooter. I will probably keep it forever.

However, I recently bought a YTS82ZUL and totally love the un-laquered look. The horn was bought unlaquered and then heavily used for a year or so and so as a result has a delicious old matt vintage look. Certainly nicer than the 'vintage laquer' type finishes you see around.

Can I get the same look from de-laquering my alto? I totally trust the tech who normally works on my horn (John Clarke from the woodwind workshop in manchester UK) and he says he can de-laquer the whole horn but only when in for a total overhaul.

Before anyone tells me it won't change the tone I don't expect it to. I just want it to look old and cool and to put me off the search for a vintage horn.

photos attached to show what I am on about

Mistake? Good move? waste of money? all opinions welcome

Attachments

• nick horns.jpg
    nick horns.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 346
I have an old Yani that's been completely de-lacquered and it looks really cool but...I have concluded that it would have been better with the original lacquer as it was there for a reason and does affect the resale value. I have just got an old The Martin and only 25% left. Was thinking if de-lacquered and polished it might look better but I think the sound may be better with the original lacquer as it's bedded into the metal and wouldn't want to thin it out any more. Just my personal opinion though...something to consider...

attached. I should mention, it's quite rusty and smells a bit also. All in all, probably better off keeping the lacquer and let it age naturally.

Attachments

• Yanni 991.jpg
    Yanni 991.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 483
attached. I should mention, it's quite rusty and smells a bit also. All in all, probably better off keeping the lacquer and let it age naturally.

your opinion is valuable but your picture speaks otherwise! It looks lovely.
did you look at my pic? which horn looks nicer?
but you have got me thinking - I like natural ageing - I am doing it myself (!)

Can I get the same look from de-laquering my alto? I totally trust the tech who normally works on my horn (John Clarke from the woodwind workshop in manchester UK) and he says he can de-laquer the whole horn but only when in for a total overhaul.

Mistake? Good move? waste of money? all opinions welcome

I guess a total overhaul plus the cost of de lacquering will cost you 400/500 quid.

If your sax doesnt need an overhaul, I would vote for your "waste of money" option.

Sorry, that may not be the answer you want.

It's very much 'eye of the beholder'

I can't help preferring shiny; both close-up and from a distance

A very personal decision

+ you'll no longer have the Pruple logo

I think the main thing is that whatever process you use to de-lacquer the instrument will have some effect upon the sound. The lacquer has to be removed either through polishing or grinding, in which case you will loose some of the actual metal, or through chemical stripping which may also impact the fabric of the sax. Either way, to do it properly, all the keys must be stripped off, the pads removed etc and so on to get a completely un-lacquered finish - and this is expensive when it comes to re-assembly.

If you do decide to do it, it is going to be almost entirely cosmetic, and you run the risk of ending up with a treasured sax that no longer plays like it used to. The chances of it playing better are very slim, but of course it's your decision!

I hope this helps...

I think the main thing is that whatever process you use to de-lacquer the instrument will have some effect upon the sound. The lacquer has to be removed either through polishing or grinding, in which case you will loose some of the actual metal, or through chemical stripping which may also impact the fabric of the sax. Either way, to do it properly, all the keys must be stripped off, the pads removed etc and so on to get a completely un-lacquered finish - and this is expensive when it comes to re-assembly.

If you do decide to do it, it is going to be almost entirely cosmetic, and you run the risk of ending up with a treasured sax that no longer plays like it used to. The chances of it playing better are very slim, but of course it's your decision!

It won't have any impact on the sound.
Granted, heavy polishing will not do much for the integrity of the body - but light, professional polishing will be of little to no concern. There are no circumstances in which you'd grind a finish off.

As for chemical strips, unless you're using some seriously vicious chemicals (strong acids), there'll be no effect to the metal whatsoever.

You're correct, however, in saying that the horn will no longer play like it used to. Part of the stripping process includes (by necessity) a repad at the very least...and typically some action work. This will have an impact on the way the horn plays....in the same way that having your car serviced affects the way it runs.

For the OP - I wouldn't bother personally - just enjoy the horn as it ages in its own sweet way.

It is a crazy amount of work to do this. I have done this to several Mark VI tenors and baris and they look "interesting" when they are finished, but it raises the question "Is it worth it"? Over time the raw brass develops a patina and there is a possibility that the contact with the skin might become a problem.

Comment by a waitress in a restaurant in California when I ordered a bottle of Rosé:
" . . . Does it really matter what color it is ? . . . "

I had a similar experience, in California too. Ordered a glass of wine (can't remember what color it was, but I assume red) and saw a glass filled up to the rim with so much cork floating that I could hardly see through it!

So I asked if I could have the same without the cork! But considering the face of the waitress, it obviously didn't sink. And by the way, it was a wine bar in the bay area, so not far from the most reputable US wine area.

It won't have any impact on the sound.
Granted, heavy polishing will not do much for the integrity of the body - but light, professional polishing will be of little to no concern. There are no circumstances in which you'd grind a finish off.

As for chemical strips, unless you're using some seriously vicious chemicals (strong acids), there'll be no effect to the metal whatsoever.

You're correct, however, in saying that the horn will no longer play like it used to. Part of the stripping process includes (by necessity) a repad at the very least...and typically some action work. This will have an impact on the way the horn plays....in the same way that having your car serviced affects the way it runs.

For the OP - I wouldn't bother personally - just enjoy the horn as it ages in its own sweet way.

Thanks for putting me straight Stephen. I once bought a Mk6 alto at a very good price in the 1970s that was originally lacquered in what Selmer called 'gunmetal blue'. I had Laurie Connie & Albert Trevellick strip it and re-lacquer it at Footes in Golden Square (now all long gone I'm sad to say). The horn did change quite a bit, but that was probably due to the re-lacquer rather than the stripping I suppose. However un-lacquered saxes do play differently from lacquered ones, it's not simply cosmetic, so I would presume that removing the lacquer from a Yamaha 62 might make it even more free blowing than it already is, which I would say would not be desirable in a horn that is already very light sounding. (Don't get me wrong, I like the original Purple Label 62 very much).

Unfortunately I have known people do their own de-lacquering of Mk6s by grinding the finish down to bare brass with all sorts of home-made methods.

I had Laurie Connie

at Footes in Golden Square

(now all long gone I'm sad to say).

Happy memories. Lauries work was the best Ive ever seen or played. Just fantastic.

I used to use him all the time, and remember the excitement as I went down those stairs to collect my sax, and see him working away in his little room.

Lovely man, who I miss on a personal and sax repairer level.

I think your money would be better spent on getting a general overhaul. Plus, worn lacquer has its own charm.
Regarding the 'will it sound different?' question about stripping the lacquer, the same debate rages in the brass community with no absolute consensus either way but the predominannt view is that it makes no difference to the sound but looks cooler. (to some)
I'm of the view that the lacquer is there for a reason. Verdigris can occur.
What would be nice is if there was some kind of protective coating that still gave the appearance of raw brass.

Back
Top Bottom