supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

:shocked:

Lewis.S

Hi everybody

Do not trust saxophone stands! I was distraught the other day to hear a crash. I ran upstairs... And there it was... my super action 80 Selmer lying on the floor... I was so shocked I started hyperventilating. I picked it up and played it. I thought: Oh good, high F# is working, I went down through all the notes. They all worked... But the low notes. I was so upset. I got out my old sax and we compared the two. I, (along with my parents) found the problem. A hole wasn't closing properly, (linked to the G# mechanism) we thought it might have bent out of place or something.

This was on Tuesday and I have a lesson on Wednesday, so I anxiously waitedfor my lesson and when the time came I was so nervous for my sax as I walked into my lesson I was visably shaking. I love this sax and it felt like the end of my world.

I gave it to my teacher and she looked at it. got me to play the notes that didn't work and... She fixed it. The problem was a screw needed to be tightened. Just a screw! I was so relieved. All of my worries and fears were over. I was so relieved. I made a pledge from that day onwards to never, ever, ever be so careless again. But what I was so suprised with, was how there were no dents or anything else wrong; I should have had more faith in my Sax.

Funny enough the next day, my friend told me that he had the same problem with his sax, he couldn't get any of the table keys on his sax out, except the G# Key. It was the C# key, so it was a similar problem on his sax, but he hadn't dropped his! Now he enjoys honking the low notes on his newly functional Yamah Tenor

Very odd and confusing! What do you think?

Lewis;}

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikec

I think you were quite lucky. I once dropped mine just a few inches on to a carpeted floor which bent one of the rods necessitating a trip to the tech for a repair. It wasn't too expensive but I was without my sax for a week. They are delicate instruments!

RedBottom

That'll teach you to put it away in its case when you're not playing it. ;}

When I first started out playing clarinet, my teacher (who was also my saxophone teacher) advised me to put the instrument away every time I'd played it. I've always followed this advice, all the more so after I was once asked to hold a friend's instrument for a moment whilst he was setting up his stand. He'd told me on a previous occasion that the only time the instrument ever went into its case was to bring it to band. It showed. It was filthy, dusty, chrome keys yellowed (and this guy didn't even smoke). I certainly wouldn't have wanted to put it in my mush and play it. :shocked:

He was a very clean chap, and so was his house, but ... oh dear! Thing was, I guess he couldn't have noticed what a state it was in because he saw it every day.

OP
Lewis.S

Lewis.S

Hi

That's the annoying thing, I was just about to put it away. I went downstaire to get a drink after a long practice session before putting it away. I did allways think sax stands looked a bit procarius.:shocked:

Lewis;}

I have a lot more mistakes ahead of me though!

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamBradley

I've not got a sax stand yet, so unused to what I think is s pretty unusual holding position.

This became apparent when I was in a shop on Saturday - I had 3 saxes on the wall in the practise room and wasn't fully convinced I'd placed one properly. I rechecked it to no avail so proceeded to play another. Bout a min later the one I wasn't happy with suddenly slipped around, neck plummeting downward.

Turns out I was playing badly because I was being a ninja rather than a musician that day, somehow I caught it with the other sax still in my gob.

RedBottom

Turns out I was playing badly because I was being a ninja rather than a musician that day, somehow I caught it with the other sax still in my gob.
Good thing too, or that could have been a very expensive trip.

I've just bought myself a Hercules stand for the alto/tenor that fits into the bell of the sax. At £26 it's cheaper than the Saxxy. It's very light but also very stable - more stable than the gimongous one I have at home. Saying that, it's only for band use and that means the only people in close proximity to it tend to be other sax players with a little respect for each others' horns.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I would consider a wall mounted stand for home use, especially those with toddlers and pets.

But in this case it seems there's nothing like this to blame, expect maybe a poltergeist or a very inferior stand. A stand that falls over by itself is not what you expect.

Glad you got it sorted though, the G# adjuster is a tiny screw that is often the reason for what appears to be a big issue.

Top Bottom