All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Sheet Music Sheet music recommendation for alto please?

bassetrox

Dunno if this is the right place to post. Sorry for the stupid question!

I'm not a reeds player. My other half is an experienced (G8, music graduate) clarinet and tenor sax player and teacher. She's just bought an alto, and I'd like to get some sheet music as a small present to go alongside it when it arrives this week.

Any recommendations? She's a classical player who plays jazz/blues/pop for fun. She's not the biggest Charlie P fan. She likes smoother, less shreddy players if you get me. Likes Cannonball Adderley. But most of her favourites are tenor players!

So I'm after something that's fun and a good exercise for a new instrument for a good player. Backing tracks good, but not essential!

I'm not a reeds player myself, but I'm a pretty knowledgable musician so feel free to talk shop to a certain degree! Obviously I know I need Eb parts...

Thanks!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Firstly welcome.

You probably twigged already, but all the tenor music she already has will work on the alto - it'll just be pitched higher and not match any backing tracks she has.

Lots of good sheet music at saxsolos.com, and the transcriptions are coded - ts for tenor sax, as for alto sax. Service is fast and delivered as .pdfs for you to print. The selection is huge. And mostly interesting solos that people have commissioned. He gives the source, often it's youtube, so you can check it out before buying. Not sure if it would appeal, but there are some transcriptions of the Baker St alto part there for instance. Another top alto player was Paul Desmond, and there are good transcriptions of his stuff as well. Scroll down to the links, don't get caught by the google ads at the top of his home page.

Otherwise try Jazzwise.com, they have a pretty wide catalogue.

bassetrox

Hi Kev and Jim,

thanks for your recommendations!

R

Firstly welcome.

You probably twigged already, but all the tenor music she already has will work on the alto - it'll just be pitched higher and not match any backing tracks she has.

Lots of good sheet music at saxsolos.com, and the transcriptions are coded - ts for tenor sax, as for alto sax. Service is fast and delivered as .pdfs for you to print. The selection is huge. And mostly interesting solos that people have commissioned. He gives the source, often it's youtube, so you can check it out before buying. Not sure if it would appeal, but there are some transcriptions of the Baker St alto part there for instance. Another top alto player was Paul Desmond, and there are good transcriptions of his stuff as well. Scroll down to the links, don't get caught by the google ads at the top of his home page.

Otherwise try Jazzwise.com, they have a pretty wide catalogue.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom