All fees from subs and sales are supporting musicians suffering hardship due to COVID-19
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Sharkbite mouthpiece

Bobby G

Seems ludicrously cheap, is it worth getting one to conduct, heh heh, experiments on>:)? By the way, last time I was around I was playing mainly alto, but since a lot of dental work I am now playing mainly tenor (and loving it!) and it's a tenor Sharkbite that I am interested in. currently using a jumbo Java T75 with RJS 3S reeds, what differences could I expect in the sound?

jonf

I've had a couple, including one I bought to cut down by 1.2cm to make a c mel mouthpiece. In my experience, they play very well and are good value. Wafer thin 'gold' plating, though. Will sound a bit less bright than your Jumbo Java.

OP
Bobby G

Bobby G

Thanks Jon, that sounds interesting. I will check one out as I would like to take some of the edge of my rather bright tone.

Rikki

Thanks Jon, that sounds interesting. I will check one out as I would like to take some of the edge of my rather bright tone.
I have a sharkbite which I keep as a backup to my PPT. My only concern is the thin plating which exposes the body of the mouthpiece which some people have reported as causing irritation in the mouth.

OP
Bobby G

Bobby G

I have a sharkbite which I keep as a backup to my PPT. My only concern is the thin plating which exposes the body of the mouthpiece which some people have reported as causing irritation in the mouth.
Yes, my mouthpiece causes irritation in the mouth. When it's in my mouth it irritates everyone who can hear me.

thesaxman71

awww c'mon you guys skip buying cheaper wannabe mouthpieces and wasting money, just buy a respected mouthpiece (Guardala for me or Lawton) and save yourself the hassle of posting how bad your wannabe piece is haha

Fraser Jarvis

awww c'mon you guys skip buying cheaper wannabe mouthpieces and wasting money, just buy a respected mouthpiece (Guardala for me or Lawton) and save yourself the hassle of posting how bad your wannabe piece is haha
Absolutely, couldn't agree more...and if anyone's in any doubt take a listen to some of Ian's playing, bloody amazing...although I'm sure he would sound absolutely crap on a sharkbite...

Jamesmac

awww c'mon you guys skip buying cheaper wannabe mouthpieces and wasting money, just buy a respected mouthpiece (Guardala for me or Lawton) and save yourself the hassle of posting how bad your wannabe piece is
haha
Hi Saxman
You mention the Guardala, and the Lawton, can i ask if you have any thoughts on the Jody Jazz DV.NY METAL.
Thanks

Colin the Bear

Oh yes! You can't sound good on cheap gear.

I think all my mouthpieces and all my saxophones would't have cost the price of a guardala. Isn't he in gaol for fraud?

Sharkbite are very good. Also the delacore chinese pieces.

Thin gold plate? Isn't industry standard 3 microns?

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Jody Jazz DV is a nice piece but a very strange thin profile in the mouth.Never blew the DVNY which is a darker piece.

Jamesmac

Jody Jazz DV is a nice piece but a very strange thin profile in the mouth.Never blew the DVNY which is a darker piece.
Yes , jody talks about that profile , mainly for players used to Otto Link MPs. And less bright as you say, I think you have to be sure you like it as well costing nr £500

thesaxman71

Hi Saxman
You mention the Guardala, and the Lawton, can i ask if you have any thoughts on the Jody Jazz DV.NY METAL.
Thanks
hi,
yes i tried both and yes they are good mouthpieces but to me personally they don't match up to my MB2 (avatar picture of my setup) i prefer a brighter sound with more projection, just personal taste i guess. also try looking at the new bari cyclone mouthpiece, they are pretty good too, unusual chamber, like a hill inside on the chamber and funky looking.

p.s.
not saying we can sound bad on cheap mouthpieces, i just mean that if the mouthpiece is giving someone irritation and it just so happens to be cheap, then maybe they should avoid it and get something more reputable that is not an irritation :)

Last edited by a moderator:

thesaxman71

Absolutely, couldn't agree more...and if anyone's in any doubt take a listen to some of Ian's playing, bloody amazing...although I'm sure he would sound absolutely crap on a sharkbite...
to me i still sound crap on any mouthpiece, haha but less crap on my current setup
always striving to better one's self

Last edited by a moderator:

thesaxman71

Oh yes! You can't sound good on cheap gear.

I think all my mouthpieces and all my saxophones would't have cost the price of a guardala. Isn't he in gaol for fraud?
yeah he did his time i think, that is a well known story, lots of links you can find online about that!

jonf

The reality is that not everyone can afford or justify spending a couple of hundred quid on a mouthpiece, particularly in these days when you can buy a perfectly playable saxophone for a similar amount. I've owned a Guardala and several Lawtons (still got one) but I'm still interested in inexpensive mouthpieces that can work well.

From what I've seen most of the tales about cheap mouthpieces causing irritation come from a US-based forum, on which a hard core are willing to say pretty much anything negative about products from Asia. I can only speculate as to their motivation.

Fraser Jarvis

I seem to remember something from Stephen Howard were he went through a whole box of these cheap mouthpieces before he found one that was playable...

Jamesmac

The reality is that not everyone can afford or justify spending a couple of hundred quid on a mouthpiece, particularly in these days when you can buy a perfectly playable saxophone for a similar amount. I've owned a Guardala and several Lawtons (still got one) but I'm still interested in inexpensive mouthpieces that can work well.

From what I've seen most of the tales about cheap mouthpieces causing irritation come from a US-based forum, on which a hard core are willing to say pretty much anything negative about products from Asia. I can only speculate as to their motivation.
I agree, but I just spent £200 on a JJ DVNY off eBay, I also have the same problem to justify it. But I found buying and selling MPs on eBay is a good way to try lots. The JJ sells for nearly £500 at Sax.co.uk

daveysaxboy

PS. Just bagged myself a Tenor JJ. DV.NY off eBay for £200
Great price.His pieces are made to the best spec.The DVNY has a great rep.Take time to get used to the thinner profile but from the sound clips I've heard they sound very nice.

daveysaxboy

I seem to remember something from Stephen Howard were he went through a whole box of these cheap mouthpieces before he found one that was playable...
Saying that though most new Otto links you buy play bad and need refacing.Crazy world we know it is.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom