Tutorials

Sharing transcriptions?

Martin

Hi,

I've been putting a lot of effort into transcribing various pieces that I like, over the last few months. I'd love to share them with everyone here, but I'm not too sure if that's allowed...copyright issues. Would I be open to prosecution, or would it put Cafe Sax open to prosecution if I scanned them and posted them here?

The next piece I'm going to work on is 'The Great Gig in the Sky' from Dark Side of the Moon...Pink Floyd. I think the female vocal part will sound fantastic on tenor and I found a good backing track for it at www.singsongs.com

Martin

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Tricky one. I think there is much less risk with the copyright issues of transcriptions, but I'd prefer if someone else took that risk, especially stuff such as Pink Floyd. I do publish some transcriptions on the taming site, but I pay a licence to MCPS for that, although it's arguable whether the licence I pay covers transcriptions, I will make some enquiries.

dooce

I got a transcription of the solo from "Money" but I can't for the life of me remember where from - probably via SOTW, so someone is doing it - but bearing in mind the litigious background of said band, I can understand Pete's caution. I guess there is nothing to stop you giving them away to individuals.

half diminished

I like doing my own. :) Of course then I need the chord progressions.

Just finished Paul's Pal and Moritat (Sonny Rollins) and starting to work on Heavenless. It's hard work but a lot of fun.

OP
Martin

Martin

I like doing my own.
Yes, I like doing my own too, and perhaps it's best like that because when you listen to the piece of music a million times while you're trying to figure out just how to write it, you actually get a better feel for the expression in the music...something that I would find difficult to get from simply reading someone elses transcription.

One of my recent ones is Watermelon Man...I wrote out the whole tenor solo from the Herbie Hancock version...about 4 verses of it. When I first heard it, it just sounded impossible, but I went through it bit by bit and wrote down just what was going on. Now I can play it and have it committed to memory. I'm looking forward to opportunity to perform it now...maybe this weekend if I'm lucky...

I've also witten out a large part of Pete's 'Old Time Blues Take 1'. I just love the feeling he puts into it. Also the blues that Pete does to demonstrate the PPT 9 star mouthpiece. I've written them out, memorised them and now I can mix'n'match various fragments to make my own solos. Of course, it goes without saying...I play the notes, or a near approximation of them, but it sounds nothing like when Mr PT plays them.

Martin

Mamos

I asked Finn Peters if he had a transcription of his piece" NR Shackleton goes to the circus" but he told me to transcribe it myself.

He was very nice about it

mamos

Ricwsax

A piece of software I've found useful is Transcribe. You can download it from http://www.seventhstring.com As well as the usual ability to isolate passages or notes, loop them and/or slow them down it also attempts to identify the pitch of notes and even tell you what the chord is. The pitch and chord part is a bit hit and miss but it can be helpful. The thing I find very useful is that you can tap in the beats as the music plays and these show against the waveform - this is great for working out or confirming those tricky timings such as syncopated semi quavers etc..

Now the downside - it's available on trial but the full version costs 50 USD Anyone know of a freeware product that has the same functions?

Top Bottom