support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Shaped Tenor Sax Cases...

Chris98

Hi, I’m beginning the initial research into shaped tenor sax cases. I currently haul my tenor around in the case it came with and although perfectly acceptable for that, it’s a bit boxy and I much prefer comfort of the shaped alto case I have.

But I’m finding it a bit tricky to narrow down the field...

The Hiscox Tenor Sax Case - looks okay and they have a good reputation but it looks quite bulky with limited room for even a box of reeds let a lone a spare mouthpiece (not that I have a spare mouthpiece). Also slightly worrying is that they spell saxophone as saxophone in their URL although not on the page!

I’ve noticed a lot of manufactures are choosing to use zips and I understand that once the zip has gone the case has pretty much had it, but my alto case has a zip and it’s not been a problem (touch wood) so it’s not a deal breaker for me.

BAM Softpack Tenor Case - styling wise I prefer it over the Hiscox but again it has limited storage.

The Pro Tec PB305CTBX looks good and has what looks like a reasonably decent outside accessory pouch.

Then there is the Jakob-Winter range which includes the Green LinE, Fibreglass & ABS-plastic which look similar to the BAM Softpack Tenor Case’s in terms of style.

None of them are particularly cheap, but I've invested in my sax and so it would seem a little odd not to provide it with some sort of decent protection especially as I'm taking it out more often these days.

If you’ve had any experience with any of these cases or would suggest something different I’d be grateful to hear from you.

All the best,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had lot's of case's and went back to Hiscox.Check out there rep on SAXONTHEWEB.Most player's choice for shaped case as there light but are like tank's.Amazing protection,cant be touched.As for space there's plenty of space inside for mouthpiece's,reed's,lig's,strap etc.I put my neck in a BG neck pouce in the bell of sax and then there's plenty of room for bit's and bob's.My last cases's were PROTEC'S and there great but was wanting more protection and as i say Hiscox make the safest case going.There not bulky i think.There a shaped case.Walt Johnson case's are very sturdy also but you only get them in the USA and cost alot but the heavy compared to a Hiscox.My Hicox's are the Ivory colour,very very wacky looking:D.With hiscox you no your sax is VERY SAFE from getting crushed.

I've had lot's of case's and went back to Hiscox.Check out there rep on SAXONTHEWEB.Most player's choice for shaped case as there light but are like tank's.Amazing protection,cant be touched.As for space there's plenty of space inside for mouthpiece's,reed's,lig's,strap etc.I put my neck in a BG neck pouce in the bell of sax and then there's plenty of room for bit's and bob's.My last cases's were PROTEC'S and there great but was wanting more protection and as i say Hiscox make the safest case going.There not bulky i think.There a shaped case.Walt Johnson case's are very sturdy also but you only get them in the USA and cost alot but the heavy compared to a Hiscox.My Hicox's are the Ivory colour,very very wacky looking:D.With hiscox you no your sax is VERY SAFE from getting crushed.

Thanks that's really helpful. Does the Hiscox fit your YTS 82 well? The reason I ask is that I had a look at someones shaped case who had a Yamaha tenor sax in it and the internal shape seemed to press on the octave key which forced the octave mechanism open and into the padding which didn't look too healthy.

Hiscox makes two models, the Standard the Pro saxophone case, I'm presuming you went for the Pro version?

Edit: Sax.co.uk has a third model that's not on Hiscox's own site: the Hiscox Artist Series

Thanks for your help, the Hiscox is top of the list now,

Chris

Unless you are desperate for the compactness of a fully shaped case I have to recomend the Hiscox.

I spent many years choosing to ignore it as an also ran but when I bought a sax that came in one I became an instant convert.
They are excellent.
I get a great feeling that the sax is protected in mine. Also very reasonably priced IMO.

As for the space, A BG neck & mouthpiece pouch in addition to your buying spree would allow you to store them inside the sax and the compartment is then free for Tuner, reeds, cork grease, sling, extra mouthpiece ;} whatever.....

P.S. I have the selmer version of the BAM soft pack and the neck compartment 'gives way' with force from the outside on to the shell.
OK for home use, but if I go anywhere, the neck goes inside the sax in that BG again!!
It could otherwise damage the neck if someone was particularly uncareful. Yes it takes a minor knock but I'm really not sure about anything more than that.

Another vote for Hiscox. Got them for my tenor and alto MkVIs and they are superb. As long as you store the neck and mouthpiece down the bell, then there is plenty of room for little bits and pieces.

I see that the Hiscox Artist series are a bit pricier but what extra do they offer ?

I really wish there was a Hiscox for bari, but for that I've got the BAM shaped case and that is great too. I also wish that Hiscox came in some more exciting colours.

Rhys

Another vote for Hiscox. Got them for my tenor and alto MkVIs and they are superb. As long as you store the neck and mouthpiece down the bell, then there is plenty of room for little bits and pieces.

I see that the Hiscox Artist series are a bit pricier but what extra do they offer ?

Rhys

Hi Rhys,

I've been looking at their site and if the construction and so on of the sax cases matches the guitar cases then all three versions feature the same “Original Liteflite” construction where they differ is that the standard has 1.5mm ABS thick outer shell, the Pro has 2mm and the Artist has 2.5mm.

The Pro also has Steel 'D' rings fitted for strap fixing and soft foam cushion padding for extra shock protection. The artist has more padding and a leather handle.

Given all that I kind of feel the middle way is probably best for me.

Maybe this wasn’t such a hard decision after all :w00t:

All the best,

Chris

Unless you are desperate for the compactness of a fully shaped case I have to recomend the Hiscox.

I spent many years choosing to ignore it as an also ran but when I bought a sax that came in one I became an instant convert.
They are excellent.
I get a great feeling that the sax is protected in mine. Also very reasonably priced IMO.

Thanks Saxlicker, another solid vote for the Hiscox, this is become a one horse race!

As for the space, A BG neck & mouthpiece pouch in addition to your buying spree would allow you to store them inside the sax and the compartment is then free for Tuner, reeds, cork grease, sling, extra mouthpiece ;} whatever.....

You wouldn't believe quantity of stuff that seems to have found residency in my sax case!

All the best,

Chris

As for space there's plenty of space inside for mouthpiece's,reed's,lig's,strap etc.I put my neck in a BG neck pouce in the bell of sax and then there's plenty of room for bit's and bob's.

I guess I should have read Dave's reply throughly before my last posting!!

:D

Mine are thr PRO serie's cases.That's all you need.There so safe why pay the more for the Artist case.Got my wacky Ivory case's of Birdman at Studiosaxophones in Wales.Was black are ivory and i am such a wacky guy i thought ivory it is.Hiscox cant be touched for safe keeping of your horn.Check mine out,be warned there LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shocked:

Mine are thr PRO serie's cases.That's all you need.There so safe why pay the more for the Artist case.Got my wacky Ivory case's of Birdman at Studiosaxophones in Wales.Was black are ivory and i am such a wacky guy i thought ivory it is.Hiscox cant be touched for safe keeping of your horn.Check mine out,be warned there LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shocked:

Hi Dave,

Thanks ever so much, I'm set, I know what I'm getting as for them being loud, I don't know but what's with the pink strat!

I'll probably be boring and get the standard black finish.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out,

All the best, Chris

You were warned.Yes my pink strat,she is sexy though:D Go the Hiscox way and you no your in safe hand's,come and join the Hiscox club:welldone

I got a black Hiscox Pro II WAS for my alto, in black because a) I didn't know there were other colours and b) would've had black anyway, as it attracts less attention at airports when I use it as a 'carry-on'!
Superb case.

From the store point of view- Hiscox or ProTec come in first equal. We've not had any problems with either. Well, not strictly true, but one problem with each over a 4 year period is as good as- both times the sax was slightly damaged after some very ,very severe case bashing- so it's safe to assume they both do the job of protecting your sax very well.
I'm actually in the ProTec camp over Hiscox- for two reasons- firstly- backpack straps (at the time I often had to carry a guitar amp for my blues harps too) & secondly, enormous storage pockets... OK, if some irate punter was to jump up and down on my case, yes, a Hiscox would be a better choice but for day to day use the extra 'bell & whistles' on my ProTec win out.

I got hold of a second-hand SKB tenor case a while ago now (before BAM cases were around). I used to cycle a lot with my horn is those days and it is a bit easier to carry over the shoulder than the Hiscox cases. The only drawback is there is no compartment so everything gets shoved down the bell. I think SKB have changed the design since then.

Thankfully the case still gets a lot of air; although now it is usually whizzing through gridlocked Bangkok roads on the back of a motorbike taxi - yehaar!

If I ever got a new case (can't see that happening), I think I would get another SKB.

Have you seen this Chris, it might be worth your while keeping an eye on it! I tried to add a link but it didn't work so here is the item number instead.

Have you seen this Chris, it might be worth your while keeping an eye on it! I tried to add a link but it didn't work so here is the item number instead.

Hi Taz,

Thanks so much for spotting this for me, Griff had also noticed it on ebay and sent me an email. But alas you were both too late. Sunday, after getting so much helpful advice and feeling impulsive, I went ahead and ordered one and a BG neck & mouthpiece pouch, thanks for the suggestion Saxlicker.

My tenor now sits happily in it's new case, unfortunately three boxes of reeds, spare sling and tuner are looking for new home in my music bag! However, I did manage to get; two reed guards, a sling, a box of 8 AAA batteries, one music stand light, cork grease and one box of reeds into the case. Actually with a bit or rearranging I'm sure I can get the tuner in as well. It's a great case, reassuringly solid and the sax sits in it snugly.

Unfortunately I have a cold and a stuffy head at the moment and the last thing I want to do is play my sax!

Thanks again for everyone’s help, I really wasn’t expecting to get the Hiscox when I first started looking but I’m glad I did.

All the best,

Chris

Boy oh boy! you do cram a lot in that case don't you?

How many suit cases do you take on holiday?:D

I'm more of a.....
2 mouthpices,
one box of reeds (in individual plastic sleeves in the box..good as any reed gaurd I swear),
Sling,
Tuner (occasionally),
Type of person.

Boy oh boy! you do cram a lot in that case don't you?

How many suit cases do you take on holiday?:D

I'm more of a.....
2 mouthpices,
one box of reeds (in individual plastic sleeves in the box..good as any reed gaurd I swear),
Sling,
Tuner (occasionally),
Type of person.

It was being in the unfortunate situation of having spare space in the original case, naturally there was an obligation to fill it. ;}

I am a fan of the Pro Tech contoured cases. I have been using one for my alto for some time, and just got one for my tenor. They are pretty sturdy, have lots of pocket space, and include a strap which can be useful when you need your hands free to carry other things.
A fellow ProTec fan!

Definitely Ivory!!! Well sexy... You've convinced me to buy it.. However, lets try the Artist series shall we..

Back
Top Bottom